Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

starter solenoid

chrisdm8

Hi, I'm working on putting my tractor back together after nearly a year into the "rebuild" process. I got the wiring back together and turned the key but the only thing that happens in the starter solenoid buzzes. I switched it with another I had laying around and it did the same thing. I checked the ground on the S/G and it's good. There is a good ground all the way from the S/G side of the solenoid to the neg terminal of the battery. I left most of the wiring together when I took the engine out and checked it against the wiring diagram when I put it back in so I'm fairly sure that it's right. So before I start sending sparks flying and tearing things back apart I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew what it might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, the battery just came off the trickle charger and terminals cleaned. Next step will be to start taking apart wires and cleaning the connections ... but none were undone during the rebuild except the connection between the solenoid and S/G.

Sand your grounding straps to the engine. Also check the battery voltage when it is buzzing compared to idle. The voltage drop should be minimal and near 12v. If it drops too far the battery may be sulfated/shorted(which happens from sitting).

On a note to the above statement, If there is almost no drop it is a connection somewhere. Sounds like a low battery to me, check the voltage. If it just came off a trickle charger it should be between 13.5 and 12.6 volts depending on how long it was off. Could also be low voltage going through all the switches and conections from the igntion switch so it's not fully energizing the soleniod. In this case jump from the battery side to the little terminal on the soleniod and see what happens. I would also siggest you turn the engine by hand a couple revolutions to free everything up a bit.

I got all the electrical connections cleaned up and put back together and now it works great. Engine turns over with ease and I was able to check for spark and found a nice strong spark. With any luck I might actually have this thing running again some day. Thanks guys!