Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got the assembly apart now what?

AC_B-1Novice

As advised I tore down my clutch pulley assembly to get to the bearing that I thought was bad. I ordered a new bearing from the site recommended today also. I think I have a different problem after disassembling it and cleaning up the parts. The bearing has very little play; I would not call it wobble at all. However, the part in the following picture s allows wobble of the pulley when I put it inside the opening. Can I fix this or do I have to get another part? If needed maybe I could have it machined out and a sleeve made to fit in it and fix the wobble. I need help to know what to do with this now that I have it apart. larry

The bearing should fit very tightly in that housing. You will either need an arbor press or a deadeye whack with a hammer to drive the bearing in the correctly. I can not imagine that the part had any wear b/c it is cast iran and the bearing is held tight inside of it. When the bearing goes bad, that results in the wobble. The bearing should be installed on the opposite (painted) side of that hub and fit tight up to that inrenal snap ring thingy-ma-job.

I awoke this morning and realized that I may have put the bearing in the wrong side of the part and your post confirms that as well as the pictures I took as I disassembled the part. The existing bearing is made in USA and has a name and part# as follows: FAFNER RA100NPPN so I think it may be the original part. When the new bearing gets here (probably made in china) I will be able to check it better. Thanks for the response.