Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Racing

Terry_Hart

Does anybody have any experience with tractor racing. I saw it on TV last weekend. It looked pretty cool. Not sure what they do to them to get them to run like that.

Well, I'm not sure this is what you mean, but I was in a tractor race last summer. I took my Allis D10 to a tractor show in Mansfield, OH. The race was there. The race was won by the last tractor to cross the finish line. The distance was about 300 feet. It was a very, very, very slow race. I used 1st gear, low range, about 2 mph, and still got beat by four slower Deere's. Since then I have installed electronic ignition and have adjusted the valves. If I back out the low idle screw the tractor just barely ticks over every second or two. I have high hopes of winning this year. This seems like a very safe motor sport. Is that, by chance, what you meant?

Tractor (mower) racing has a small following in Australia. By the way garden tractor pulling is non-existent down here. From what I have seen, most use a 250cc motorcycle engine or similar and motorbike handlebars. I think the driveline is more motorbike than tractor. Mower decks must be removed for safety! Looking at the Landlord, I think it would be hard work to make a racer out of it. The large wheels might handle well though... Neilo

If your talking racing lawn mowers below are a few links for information and parts! They are a blast to watch! We go too the nationals each year since there only an hour from us! Started building an Imow one for daughter last year, but we still haven't finishedsm01 Too many projects! Highly recommend EC for anything you need on building one! And they know carburetors and engines! George is their mower MAN. http://www.uslmra.com/ http://www.eccarburetors.com/ http://acmemowersports.com/index.html

Agreed, they are fun to watch. Friend of mine races and has a sears custom that will do posi burnouts in the driveway. Right now he is building a rear engine Lawn Chief with a turbo.

quote:
Originally posted by fwo
Well, I'm not sure this is what you mean, but I was in a tractor race last summer. I took my Allis D10 to a tractor show in Mansfield, OH. The race was there. The race was won by the last tractor to cross the finish line. The distance was about 300 feet. It was a very, very, very slow race. I used 1st gear, low range, about 2 mph, and still got beat by four slower Deere's. Since then I have installed electronic ignition and have adjusted the valves. If I back out the low idle screw the tractor just barely ticks over every second or two. I have high hopes of winning this year. This seems like a very safe motor sport. Is that, by chance, what you meant?
Sounds like something I should enter my Dad's Farmall F-12 into. Top gear is 4 mph.