Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Burntime

How do you interpret the codes?

Simpleton7016
I asked the same question a few years ago. Normally, I would say use the search function and use key work "briggs code", but there seem to be some bugs in it. The next best option is B L T. ^ Nah, just post the codes here and someone will know. Generally speaking, take the first two numbers and divide by two for HP. If it is a 16 horse, the first two numbers will be 32. Further down the chain is the year of manufacture. I can tell looking at it, but I can't tell you off the top of my head which numbers they are. It is usually pretty intuitive though.

MikeES
Here is my cheat sheet on the 10hp and up B&S CI engines. 24340X - 10hp 24 cu in 30042x - 12hp 30 cu in 30143x - 13hp 30 cu in 30243x - 14hp 30 cu in 32042x - 14hp 32 cu in 32543x - 15hp 32 cu in 32643x - 16hp 32 cu in

TimJr
A few more numbers are as follows - model series 14 = 6hp - as in early 6hp Broadmoor, 17 = 7hp i.e 707/717 Broadmoor, 19 = 8hp i.e 738 Broadmoor. All modern Briggs engines - mid 1960's on up use a Model, Type and Code for identification. The model explains cubic inch, carb, bearings, starter info. The type explains what or who the engine was built for and info such as top speed. The code is a date - first two digits are the year - example 66 = 1966. The next two are the month, next two are the day, the remaining are factory info. Hope that helps. Also figure, that assuming the engine is original to a tractor, the engine is likely a couple months older than the tractor - it was probably built, shipped to Simplicity, then installed on a tractor, with some lag time in between. As for the older letter series engines, such as 23d and older, I would need to get out the books or let someone else do the explaining here. Tim