Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3415H Bevel Gear Box, hard to fix?

78kitty

In my quest to find a nice Sovereign series tractor to fix up I've got a line on a 3415H with a 48" deck that's been sittin for about 10 years. The guy said the hydrostat is fine, but the gearbox is out. I'm assuming this refers to the bevel gearbox which I've read are problematic. Does this sound like something I can fix, and if so are parts hard to get? I'm what I like to call an "advanced shadetree mechanic" and actually spent part of last summer completely redoing a newer Craftsman Peerless transaxle that busted a gear which then chewed up more gears. I haven't gone to see the tractor yet, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on the gearbox & other things to look for on the 3415H if I get to go see it. Thanks!

Not "hard" to fix, but a fairly big project to handle. Your best bet is to find a complete gearbox (on e-bay they typically go for $75 - $125) rather than parts. The project will require splitting the tractor in half (front and back). On a side note though, my guess is that if it has been sitting outside for 10 years, that deck may be pretty well rotten or at least in need of new bearings. PS - here is a tip from one of our most well-respected "knuckle saving, there MUST be a better way" members. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/flange_puller.htm[/url] You will definitely need this tip to complete the project. There are more tips that others will chime in with, but I would also recommend taking a couple dozen high resolution "before" pictures for use when you try to put it back together. But the absolute best option is to buy an identical tractor to compare side-to-side.:D

Excellent thanks! The tractor has actually been sitting in a barn, so hopefully everything's not all rusted up and rotted. I just got an E-mail from the guy and he said he believes a bearing went out, which broke the gear. I appreciate the tip on pics and the link. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress with this! I love this site!

• 1 month later...
Well, I'm about 1/2 way done with the new gear box install. I bought a 3314 parts tractor, so now I just need to swap the gear boxes. I've started and it's a little harder than it needs to be b/c the PO of my tractor must've been working w/out a repair manual b/c he disconnected and removed a lot of parts that didn't need to be. He also didn't do one of my best shadetree mechanic tricks of putting all nuts and bolts finger-tight back in place so I've got 3 different buckets of parts including the rear lift, electric lift, hydrostat controls, etc. Thank God I got this whole other tractor put together, the owners manual, and the Sovereign shop manual! I'll get 'er done 1 way or the other, but this is a true "basket case" or should I say "bucket case" projecct! :o)