Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Frame Mounted Vac Collector

Gary

The bearings went out on my vac system (1690402), yesterday. The parts manual says they are part# 1665662. The shaft is also pretty worn (1665661). Has anyone here replaced these parts? My search of the forums came up empty. The bearings are about $45.00, each, which seems pretty pricey. They look similar to the snowblower bearings, but I can't get them off of the shaft, yet. I soaked them in PB Blaster. Anyone here have any ideas on replacement parts? Thanks,

Boy for $45 each, you would be better off buying the complete unit I have listed locally here! I think $200 is a good price and the bearings were replaced last fall....then you would have lots of spare parts.:D Unfortunately, I did not replace the bearings, so I can not be of much assistance.

I think those bearings are generic. If I recall correctly, I got some from an ag/bearing supply place when I replaced mine. I did get a new shaft (id #23, pn 1665661) from Simplicity because I had to cut the old shaft to get it off without ruining the bearing mounting channel.

You're probably correct, Carl. The bearings may be generic. I also may have to cut the shaft to get this apart. I'm not having much luck locating shaft# 1665661. Does any member out there have one they'd be willing to part with? I don't want to cut this one unless I can find another. Would a length of cold rolled steel be tough enough to use as a shaft?

Last year I had to replace bearings on mine, they are generic flanged bearings from Fleet Farm (about $10), I had to cut the old bearings off with a dremel tool, I did it without hurting the shaft.

Thanks for the link, Ambler. Their web site isn't much help, but I called them today. They are looking to see if they have any parts or drawings to forward to me. Very helpful folks:) They said it may take a couple of days to figure things out. I also called a local dealer. They have an old unit out in their barn. They don't know the model#, but said I could have it for $25.00. I'm going to take a look at it for that price;)

Take the number off the bearing and call your local NAPA store. I just bought new bearings for mine - I can get the part number up tomorrow if still needed. Mine had SKF bearings in it, which were easily cross referenced - about $13 for the bearing with a lock collar. I wrecked one set of mounting flanges to get mine apart - only about $4. The Simplicity part is pricey, but as far as I know came as a kit - the bearing, lock collar and the flanges - for what that is worth. Tim

I just ordered 3 flange bearings for my tiller from the BigBearingStore. the price was 60% less than locally from Kaman ($13 vs $45 ea)for the 3 flange. They didnt have the 2 flange I needed so I had to bit the bullet on those. The outer race in flange bearings is manufacturer specific... so if your bearings manufacturer is out of business you'll need to replace the whole thing rather than just the bearing itself

Tim, if you can get the NAPA part numbers, it sure would be appreciated:) Peco faxed me the drawing of what they thought the shaft was, and they were right on. Their drawing matched the shaft that's in the housing. I'm going to get a quote from them, tomorrow on the shaft. Thanks