Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Points problem?

Chris727

Hi. I have been working on a new-to-me HB-212. The trouble is that it will idle OK, but when it goes under load it pops, cackles, and runs rough. It has done this ever since I've had it and gotten it running. I don't think it is a fuel problem, the in-tank filter is clean, the tank is rust-free, and the fuel line is new, the carb was also througly cleaned. I believe this is a timing issue. When I set the points at the factory recommended .020, it will not run, if I narrow them up to about 17-18 thousandths it will run, but then it runs poorly under load. I'm thinking it could be a worn point-plunger, (especially as it was leaking oil around it.) I know I should have pulled the engine to check the flywheel key but I was hoping to avoid engine removal. It also seems it runs hotter when the points are narrowed, does this sound right? It also has a new sparkplug gapped to .030. I won't be able to work on it again until Saturday, but thought I'd ask for suggestions. Thanks in advance. -Chris

I'll be watching for ideas, sounds about like what my B-10 did shortly after I got the tranny overhauled on it. Haven't needed it so just parked it til later.

Hi all, I have a 9020 PowerMax and its doing the same thing. Under a load or at high idle, it falters and backfires. I am pretty sure its the timing, but I would like to know if it is highly important to have the timing marks perfectly lined up, or if they can be off a little?

I just did a tiller with that prob and it was cracked insulation on the wires to the coil. I wrapped them with tape and it works great.

My 7014S started doing this the other day when rolling the lawn. Sounded alot like a valve hanging up, I always suspect the worst. :( For a quick test I installed one of the mega fire units and it runs as smooth as it ever has. I will leave the unit on until I have the time to get new points and condenser and get them installed. Could be awhile. :D

quote:
Originally posted by msiebern
My 7014S started doing this the other day when rolling the lawn. Sounded alot like a valve hanging up, I always suspect the worst. :( For a quick test I installed one of the mega fire units and it runs as smooth as it ever has. I will leave the unit on until I have the time to get new points and condenser and get them installed. Could be awhile. :D
I said the same thing better then 15 years ago. Never did buy the points or condenser. I wired Mega-Fire thru points and it made it even better starting wise.dOddOddOd

Hey guys, heres the update. I put a brand new genuine B&S condenser on it, also installed a newer set of points. It is running a little better but not much. It backfires some on acceleration. I'll try to tweak it tommorow, see if it will handle cutting grass. What is involved in installing a mega-fire, is it something I have to buy online or do most mowershops stock them? Thanks! -Chris

It not difficult to install and most mower shops buy Sten's parts and that is the main distributor. You might even luck out at NAPA.

Might not be needing the mega fire. I got it running good enough to mow 1/2 acre, until I had some unexpected PTO problems.

Chris727, good to hear you got it running better! I've been watching this thread with much interest. I see several others have chimed in with similar issues and I'm also curious as to the outcome. From the get-go, I had a suspicion that this could have been a lean misfire condition due to fuel delivery issues in the carb main circuit. Just curious if that had anything to do with it. Anyway, good luck and thanks for sharing.