Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front PTO problem

RodStayner

Rod, Check the "air gap" between the clutch plates. As the clutch gets hotter during use the resistance of the coil goes up. As the resistance goes up the current in the clutch circuit goes down. There are a fixed number of turns in the coil. Amps times turns is the unit of force that determines if the clutch pulls in. I suspect if you reduce the gap the clutch will pull in hot like it does cold since a smaller gap requires less amp turns to overcome the springs. Ron

I have a Simplicity Sunstar 16 HP tractor with a 48" deck. The problem I have is that after you have been mowing for a long period of time and you shut the mower off, it is hard to get it to engage again. You have to turn it off and on and adjust your throttle to get it to engage. The "Front PTO" light is on, but it doesn't engage. I suspect the clutch needs adjusted, cleaned, or replaced, but since I've only had the tractor for a week I haven't really gotten into it yet. Any advice on how to solve this problem?

When you engage the clutch do you hear a click up front coming from the pto. If you do then it may just need cleaning if not then your coil for the magnet might be bad. The clutch is nothing more then an electric magnet that pulls to halfs of the clutch together and if the coil is bad the magnet will be weak and not strong enough to pull the to halfs together. Also check to see if the belt is getting hot if so then its a sign that the belt is slipping but more then not its the coil that can be replaced but not sure how much $$ for one. Check all connections to make sure that they are good. If you find it needs cleaning you can spray the metal surfaces with brake pad cleaner also check for any rust on the sufaces if so litely sand it off. Others please add or correct me. Best, >>->happyjack<-<<

Back in the mid to late 90's, there was some clutch trouble with these units. They would get heat from the muffler and melt the clutch coil silicone,I don't know what it actually is,looks like hard silicone, and short it out. There was a shield that came with the new coil to keep some heat away between the muffler and coil. The clutches are different between the two tractors. Yours may just need adjusting with a feeler guage. I can't remember the thousandths it should be gapped, I can find out if you need it. Seems like .010. Steve J

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all of your advice. The gap on the clutch was out way to far and I adjusted it to about .018 (book says .015 to .020) and it is working great! I have mowed my 3 acres with it twice now with no mower problems.