Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new tractor for me to fix, and it's a 414

nateb17010

I just working on getting the 414 up and working if nothing else I will throw the one off the B-10 or just let him use mine until I get his up and running.

This is a quote from RayS on the belt thing.... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=104010 "Did you mean a 105287 belt. A 105287 is a 88.1" belt and is for a short wheel base tractor. The 105340 is 96.1" and is for a long wheelbase tractor. That manual is for a tiller that went on a tractor like a 3110 and a 3112. The 3110 had a 4" shorter wheelbase because the were just a standard 3 speed. the 3112 came with a variable speed transmission or hydrostatic transmission and were 4" longer between the BGB and transmission. If your 310 is a variable speed, shuttle or hydro which it should be one of the three, then you need belt 105340."

mooseman3210: could you post a picture of your "400" lift arm? and or tell me if mine is correct "400" like sammiefish, has the "300" and I see that the lift arm is different, and the haft moon height selector is back word. thanks we here is what I have found so far.

should I just wield the other side, or just rivet back together? no I did not wield the piano hing.

as you see still needs some work, but closer trip in to town tomorrow for a head gasket and some straight rod.

I robed it off of a 7000 parts rig, the striker was the only thing I used but they have the lift arm shimed on the 400 out???? anyways. sammiefish: could you give me the length of you stopper on you lift arm? it looks longer then the one I am using. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
head bolts for a 14 hp kohler is 25-30 ft lbs ya I need a new one blew it right back out. found some loose head bolts I hoped. here is what she looks like now

it's funny how tar will turn in to a fluid with a little diesel fuel. it is stuck in 2nd gear so it had to come out and gone threw. also the bgb drive pulley is badly worn so I will be replacing it as well. thought you might want an up date.

I think the 414 is a K321 the owners and service manuals are here... but all the K241,301, and 321 have the same head torque specs 25-30 ft lbs http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/serieslanding.htm?series=K-Series what happened?... blew it right back out?? you mean the gasket? have you been up all night??!!! lookin' good...

sammiefish: "what happened?... blew it right back out?? you mean the gasket? have you been up all night??!!!" well I noticed when I was pulling the head off the bolts was not very tight. so after a good cleaning I just put the head gasket back on and tried it. I guess I should have used "Indian head" sealant. but I have a new one on order. and yes I say up all hrs of the night. I get home around 12:30am work on my tractors trucks and cars until 2-2:30 then look up what i have missed out on here, for about an hr then go to bed get up around 10:30 and work on other thing before work. "Im not sure what you mean by "stopper"" do you under stand now? dose not work right yet but been working on other things. also did you get your new place? I hope so. nate

OK, I get it now... so you probably just need the new gasket you ordered... I was thinking you did that already and it blew again. that would have been curious. and yup, I get in now.. "stopper" It seems like that shouldnt be too tough to get working... Did you ever figure out how the thumb button and rod fastens in the lift arm? yup, been in the new place just 2 weeks now... mowed close to the house 2x now and the back 4 acres just once. Also tilled 1/2 the garden 3 x. It was pretty filled up with grass. My brother is coming tonight to take the tractor and tiller to do his garden so Ill be tractor-less for most of the weekend. The rest of the garden may be zucchini, squash and pumpkins this year!

did you post any pictures of your new place yet? love to see your new digs. "Did you ever figure out how the thumb button and rod fastens in the lift arm?" nope the stopper is not wide enough or still not aligned correctly. that was also the question of where is the return spring location? "to lock it down." I just have been working on the rear end. just trying to get it to shift. also have a little electric work to do on it.

• 2 weeks later...
so whats up with your 414?? im betting if you get that thing going as a tilling machine you will not be disappointed!! is yours a manual?? im thinking it was but forgot.. .and too lazy too look back... im sure when right that thing will till great.. hope its going well the 3/400 is a big frame and is well adapted to dirt work im thinkin regards, chris

getting the rear end back from my friend hopefully this week and the head gasket is going to be in hopefully by wed. been working on 3 other tractors that went down and mowing. need to work on the electrical system lots of weird wiring. it's a 4 spd s.