Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dmcluckie

Landlord/Vanguard fuel starvation

dmcluckie
I have been trying to troubleshoot the fuel starvation problem in my 94 Landlord with 18HP Vanguard. Run it wide-open mowing for 5 minutes and it runs out of gas. Choke it to keep it running, then it gets fuel again. I found that the fuel line had several small red spiders in it, but I think I've eliminated all of them and places they could be. Tank, pickup, line, filter. I assumed they could not be past the filter, but I'll have to move on from the filter to the next hose, then the fuel pump, then the carb. I thought sure it was the spiders. I have heard spiders like to nest in small tubes. But; they could realistically only have done that before the tank was placed into service. No one would drain the tank completely to expose the pickup, then leave the cap off for spiders to enter. Long odds on that. So I bet the spiders were a factory-installed accessory and the problem is elsewhere, since it has 282 hours on it. Like the solenoid thing on the bottom of the float bowl. I took the solenoid and bowl off. The bowl was spotless, just perfect. The solenoid plunger felt a little crunchy inside when it moved, and it stuck down sometimes. I sprayed it with carb cleaner, and as I worked it with my finger, it cleaned up and loosened up. So I put it back in. I tried to test it by applying 12v + to the wire and grounding the case, but that did not make it move. I'm going to check the fuel pump. If it is not that, how do I troubleshoot the solenoid??? Any other suggestions? Thanks, Don McLuckie

Sandy_Lake_Imp
When you turn on the key the solenoid should make an audible click.Visual inspection of the plunger would verify travel & allow inspection of the seat orifice. We have found things in the vacuum fuel pumps that were a mystery as to how they got there. Bill

dmcluckie
Thank you for the feedback Bill. It turned out to be the fuel pump. One of the two dime-sized rubber flapper valves was caught in the openings it was supposed to cover/uncover. I pulled it out but it is still crinkled, so I don't know if it will work. I can't test now because it is raining. I'll check and see if Briggs sells replacement parts for the pump or just the whole pump. But first I'll just see if it works as is. -Don McLuckie

dmcluckie
Well, I was wrong. It was not the spiders, it was not the stuck flapper in the fuel pump, it was the solenoid under the float bowl. Sheesh. I now have the cleanest fuel system on the planet, and I can take the seat/fenders, hood, and fuel system stuff off blindfolded. -Don McLuckie