Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simpleton7016

Front wheel collars

Simpleton7016
I stripped a set screw on the collar of one of the front wheels. I ended up removing the entire spindle (tire and all), but would still like to get the wheel off. Any suggestions? Will I need to sacrifice the spindle by cutting of the back side?

HubbardRA
Drill out the set screw. At most you will put only a small spot on the spindle with the drill bit. If you can't drill the screw out, then take a hand grinder and cut the collar to get it off. Collars are cheap and you can get them at TSC if you do don't want to go to Simplicity.

CleanBee
First off, go buy a quality set of Allen wrenches and always clean the hole out so this doesn't happen again. Hind sight is great...LOL Next, go buy a cut off wheel if you don't already have one. It is one of my favorite tools and gets me out of numerous jams. Make a cut thru the collar, at the set screw, parallel to the axle. Cut thru as far as you can go and use a tapered chisel to break apart as Bob said. I keep warn wheels and remove the guard so I can reach odd places at times. This might be needed to get inside the hub. I can help if you need but will be tied up with work for at least another week. Dan

Simpleton7016
Dan's humor is no doubt suffering from sleep deprovation. :D 12:45 AM Dan? Got up to prepare a bottle for your daughter hey? Or maybe you went the the fridge to get a bottle for yourself (not milk). :) All are good suggestions guys, thanks. But all are also going to require the purchase of some new (new to me) tool. Dang it. It seems a guy really can never have enough tools! I have a right angle grinder, but I am afraid it is still too big to get in that little space. I don't have easy outs, but my left handed drill bits have never failed me....except I can't get in there with a drill b/c I do not have a right angle drill. The diagonal hack saw cut will probably end up being the winning suggestion this time, but will probably take a whole 10 minutes!ngr2 Dan, you are welcome to help if you need to get away. You can come over and make that hack saw cut if you want.:D I definitely remember the time when doing manual labor for a friend beat staying at home and changing diapers! But really, I think I can handle it...but do feel free to stop by and bend your elbow a few times. One of the perks of buying a semi load of tractors is that I have a few extra spindles and rims lying around....so I could very well just toss this basket case in the recycle bin....but on principle, I will get it off b/c some day I know I will need that spindle.

nateb17010
please make sure that you wear a safety full face shield when using that nasty tool. I was working on a dash wearing just safety glasses and just about cut in to my tear duct "hose" when one of those disks exploded on me. good tool tho. you could if careful wield a small nut to the set screw. easy out, L hand drill bit, or you could use a big # 20 lbs hammer with a long handle and beet the living snot out of it until it gives up and then sand the scrap back out of it. it all up to you and no you never have the right tool for the job but you can always find one that works...

DeltaBravo
Pneumatic cutoff wheel, diagonal sawzall cut with a Milwaukee or Morse thick width metal blade. How about drilling perpendicular through the set screw? Maybe I'm way off on that one.

CleanBee
You called it Eirk, I think I was on my 3rd beer by then. She was cuttin her first tooth. Oh yea, about my humor, honestly it doesn't get any better... that is unless your drinking along. Dan

Simpleton7016
:D Remind me the next time you are over, I found the original owners manual for that cultivator. It is in very good condition. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. That stubborn booger is coming off today!