Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Duplicolor spray paint

JP10

I'm using 2-3 coats of Duplicolor 1607 with a coat of 1612 primer for my 700 restoration. It is almost a spot on match for the original paint and it goes on easy. I was wondering about the durability of this paint. The can says that it takes 7 days to cure fully, but I have been handling and reassembling painted pieces before 7 days. This has caused minor nicks and scrapes with the paint that is irritating. Anyone else like/use this paint? After 7 days does it become more durable? Thanks, J-P

I find I need to get 7-8 coats (the last few being wet wet) to get a nice deep thick finish. Even after a couple of weeks though if you bump it with something (like the lift lever, putting it back on) you'll scratch some off. I'm hoping that letting it bake in the hot sun will help it cure better. When I do a real show tractor I think it'll be powerdercoated so it can't come off...

I have heard that baking parts in an oven at 140-160 for a few hours will set the paint up in 2 hours or so but I yet to try it. Duplicolor is probably as durable as any other paint that comes in a rattle can and 7 to 8 days is wishful thinking. I think the 7 day period is under very ideal conditions. Baking in the sun helps but beware of birds. I had one small piece out in the sun today and it got hit

I use a lot of duplicolor. I agree the 1607 is the perfect color, I liked it so much I had it computer matched and had a quart of it made by PPG. It seems to chip just as much as any other paint I have used, surprisingly the wallyworld stuff is fairly durable, but they don't have any viable options for colors. I myself would avoid powdercoat. Everything I have ever owned that was factory powdercoated looked terrible in short time. It flakes very badly, you can't wetsand it, and when the color fades, and it will, look at most any Simplicity product from 1993-2005, they look light orange to pink and you can't buff or sand the color back, the fading goes all the way through. My 17GTH-L is a good example of this. While the dirt cleaned off the paint still looked pink after cleaning.

Its supposed to look more like this restored mower deck.

The deck looks great, nice job. Have any of you found a paint that matches or close for an allis chalmers B-1? I need to paint mine and no luck at any of the box stores.

Wow. I thank you for the advice re:powdercoating. I guess my understanding of it is not correct. I thought it would bond with the metal and stay shiny for a good long time. But I have to say I am happy with the Duplicolor, as long as I'm careful to keep things off the hood and minimize scratching.

Wow, the deck looks great, awesome job! I'm a Duplicolor fan too. My $.02; I'm surprised about the pc fading that bad. I do know that like paint, there are several different powder types, some are not UV stable and will fade badly. Hard to believe Simplicity would make that mistake though. As for the adhesion, I think with proper prep, it is every bit as good as any modern paint system. But I do know that in the past, in more than a few high production environments pc was done poorly (peeling Ford oil pans come to mind).