Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

SmilinSam - Conquests

PhanDad
Sam, Came across this post when looking for my EZ-Slide posts: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=35635&SearchTerms=ez%2Cslide What's your opinion of the new models after 4 1/2 years? (I apologize if you've already posted on this subject). I remember you had some wiring issues early on, but finally got that fixed.

Les
I bought one of Sams' Conquest tractors, with snow cab and blower. After almost 20 years on Sovereign types, I would not go back. The Conquest is much faster and easier to mow with. Diff lock works great when I mow the road bank. Newer snowblower just not as good as the old B Series blowers. Wish my Conquest was a Prestige, faster reverse speed and hydraulic lift would be nice. I have the 50" deck. The deck is just not as good as the Sovereign decks, more scalping, not as even a cut, more plugging. I really like how easy the deck goes on and comes off. Would not go back to a Sovereign deck. I just bought a new Kubota BX25 backhoe and included a 60" deck with that tractor, I still mow with the Conquest. I had a deck with the Kubota I traded in on the BX25, never used it. Kubota borrowed alot of design concepts from Simplicity, but their standard decks are just not as good. Kubota also makes a fine cut deck which I have no experience with.

SmilinSam
What Les said, though I'm not quite as critical of the deck as Les is, but I might mow a little higher than Les too. I the last few years the wiring issue on my wifes Massey version has been the only real problem. All that was was the wires to the PTO had a bare spot rubbed in them where they go through the frame . Apparently they didnt get tied at the factory like they did on Les' tractor. Easy fix, but it cost me two voltage regulators before I found the problem. The only other thing I dont really care for is that the Vanguards are really touchy on a dirty air filter. Not at all tolerant. The pre filter must religiously be cleaned if you are mowing in dusty conditions. My wife does not do this simple maintinance and consequently has to replace her filter about 2-3 times a summer. Her tractor now has almost 500 hours on it. I still prefer the Soveriegn for ground engaging work and blade work. They are a much heavier more versatile platform for that.

gwiseman
I agree Sam - air filter elements and spark plugs on my 2001 Conquest 16-44 are touchy! Must replace both paper and foam couple times during summer b/c of dust and just as easy to change Bosch plugs (seem to last longer than Champions) at the same time. Haven't experienced scalping w/44". My wish list: hydro-lift but that would call for more engineering capability than I have. I utilize differential lock a lot on my yard/hill but don't understand why tractor is so slow in reverse. Think its same transaxle in jd lgt but seems ones I have driven are faster in rev. ps-I came over from the dark (jd) side in '01 & don't have Sovereign experience (yet).

Les
The slow reverse speed is my biggest complaint with the Conquest. The Conquest and Prestige have different transmissions, The Prestige is cast iron and the Conquest is aluminum. Sorry to dish on the 50" deck, but I just got done mowing the ditch which had high wet grass, and the deck plugged a lot. I hate slowing down.

gwiseman
quote:
Originally posted by Les
The slow reverse speed is my biggest complaint with the Conquest. The Conquest and Prestige have different transmissions, The Prestige is cast iron and the Conquest is aluminum. Sorry to dish on the 50" deck, but I just got done mowing the ditch which had high wet grass, and the deck plugged a lot. I hate slowing down.
IMO-You're not dissing if the 50" has a problem - I've not plugged my 44".

Les
The only place that I have scalping problems is when I mow the roadside ditch. Been mowing it for 13 seasons and I NEVER scalped with the Sovereign decks. I will scalp every time now unless I orient the tractor right, going up and down the hill I have to shut the PTO off, fortunately the diff lock on the Conquest works like a charm, I rarely spin out anymore. Is the 4 wheel drive option worth it? I really like the short turning radius I have now, the 4x4s do not turn as short. It is annoying trying to do a tight turn and have the front wheels slide, somebody once told me about a front end weight to alleviate that problem. I really like the fact that the new decks are lighter than the Sovereign decks, not as durable but really nice when you get to be an old guy like me, which is why I got a Kubota with loader and backhoe, just too old to do much lifting or digging anymore. I love Simplicity equipment, but they just never learned how to build truly good hydraulic systems.