Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3012 Soverign Gears Grinding

gr-made

Hello Everyone: My father-in-law recently acquired a 3012V. It seems to run well but has a problem with the gears grinding when putting it into any of the gears. We tried to adjust the clutch both in and out. This did not seem to help the situation. The pulley just does not seem to stop turning going into the transmission. It does get better when you put the variable speed lever in the slowest speed setting. Someone was telling us that it could be the guard on the belt not being close enough. He said this could cause the belt to "balloon" and this could be what is causing the problem. Does this sound like it could be the problem or are we just not getting the adjustment right. By the way he only paid $150 for the unit and it even has hydro lift and a snowblower. Now why can't I ever find deals like that. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Proper sequence of adjustment is critical but if the belt is flimsy instead of stiff adjusting is a waste of time. As a flimsy belt is run & warms up it will not release. A new belt & proper adjustments will remedy the shifting problem unless the sheaves are worn/wobbly on their bushings causing the belt to be pinched between sheave halves. Bill

I have an AC B-210 (3210V equivalent), so I've experienced this first hand. Follow this linked adjustment procedure very carefully -- one step is the adjustment you mention. Watch the belt stop when you press the clutch in with the motor running -- it should just "pinch" the belt lightly enough to stop it, without binding or rubbing the belt when the clutch is out. This may take rotating the belt stop toward the front of the tractor just a wee bit more.... If this procedure doesn't solve the problem, it's time to spend about $45 or so for a new belt... then adjust it using this procedure. The adjustment is a bit tricky the first couple of times you do it, especially on used equipment with slack/slop in it, but worth trying a few times to save the $$$$$$.....[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/service/vari-drive_adjustment.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/service/vari-drive_adjustment.htm[/a]

Word of caution. Adjust as the book says, especially if you are not completetly familiar with the varispeed. You must follow the steps. Also you MUST adjust the brake band as the last adjustment, if this is not adjusted properly you can "over stroke" the clutch and jam the belt into the drive pulley, and cause all kinds of trouble. Mike S.

This sounds like it is the proper adjustments of the guards to me. I had that happen for a whole summer and then the nice people pointed out that the pins that were the guards to mine were too far away from the pulley (my fault I was trying to adjust it cause it started to grind and thaught that that was better for it ) but it wasnt. So adjust these and you will bee fine. Doug