Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Aarbor shaft issue

Vassal

A few days ago, I was going over my recently purchased 727 Broadmoor to make sure things were ok for mowing. While in the garage, I noticed it seemed to be fairly loud when the deck was engaged, like something was loose with the mule drive or deck pulleys. I decided to give it a look and found a loose pulley on one of the outboard arbors. The pulley wobbled a bit and it looked a little messed up in the key slot area. At first I thought it was a bearing related problem, but it turns out the woodruff slot in the arbor shaft is considerably worn. Thankfully, all of the arbor bearings and everything else on the deck seem to be in great shape. For the heck of it, I put it all back together and really snugged the nut down on the arbor with the bad pulley, just to the point where it felt like there was some drag on the arbor shaft bearings but not 'gorilla' tight. I fired it up and the noise was gone so I figured I narrowed it down to the bad woodruff slot. So, I got a replacement pulley and the arbor shaft is with a machinist friend for new woodruff key slot. This is my first tractor so I'm not real familiar with common problems (hopefully this isn't common though). So my question is, what do you think caused this? The blades do not look like they have taken any impact and from what I can tell, the deck is in really nice shape considering it's age. Do you think at some point the covers were off the deck and the pulley got damaged/bent? Also, does anyone know what the torque spec is for the arbor shaft pulley nuts? Or do you just do it by feel? Thanks in advance!

70 ft lbs on a new locknut and if it is a used locknut 45ft lbs. Simplicity seems to clutch this information to their chest but I did find a book that has it in print.