Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Kohler leak

xenon172
If this is a K series engine there shouldn't be a leak in that area unless the Cam pin is spinning in the block causing wear which would be a major problem. I hope I am missing something and just remembering a bad experience. Just the first thought I had so please wait for another opinion or provide a little more information as to what kohler you have.

SmilinSam
Nope, checked and with the engine running the shaft is not moving even the slightest. Yet, oil seeps and spits minute specks out around it. Only thing I can think to do is clean and degrease it real good and fill the cavity with rtv silicone and maybe put a small plug of some sorts in the recess. I just had the engine rebuilt.. Do you suppose the breather is installed incorrectly and its building pressure inside the crank case? However if that was the case I would think there would be oil coming out other places first or at least as well as...

Kent
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I just had the engine rebuilt..
Was it rebuilt so recently that the rings may not have completely seated? If they haven't, you might be getting some blowby that will later disappear once they have fully seated...

D-17_Dave
What model Kohler? The Magnum's (I think) had the split block twin cyl.s and the oil flows through the cam to lube the front of the crank. It may require a complete dissasembly to properly seal the leak. Too much RTV will seal off the oil flow to the front half of the crank and you'll soon loose the front rod bearing. I've also had these engines with the reed valve in the breather in backwards. It blew out the rear main seal from the pressure and puked oil real bad.

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by Roy
"What do I have to do to stop this?" Put a Briggs in. :D
By God Roy I think you are right...OO So, I just bought a good 16hp Briggs Vanguard V twin already setup for AC^ cost me 3 franklins I'll fix the leak and put this Kohler into the John Deere 314 where it would be better suited.;) Keep the plumbing tied into the john:D:D:D Dave the Kohler is a K321 14 hp single.

SmilinSam
Roy, the oldest boy finds himself in need of truck payment money. He got it in a trade deal when he sold another tractor he had. Its used but runs but hasant been worked yet to see how it will hold up. I once bought one for $50 at an auction condition unknown. It truned out that the fuel shut off solenoid was the only thing wrong with it. It also went into a 900 series Allis, which I traded away a long time ago. I dont know, I may end up putting the Briggs in the Deere. Depends on which way is less work. The Kohler has the 1 1/8" shaft that would accomodate the Electric clutch, but I'd rather just use a plain pulley for direct drive and eliminate the clutch. One less thing to go wrong. Besides the tractor wont be used for anthing but the loader. Have to see what is decided when I get around to working on it all. Wifes list needs some attention first...