Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs to Kohler power... maybe.

Eddie

Hello, I picked up a simplicity 7010 last summer and am getting around to fixing it. The whole bottom end of the engine blew apart, and I have several kohlers around and another Briggs. The problem I have it this... The blown engine had the filler hole in the bottom of the cast iron engine while the other Briggs... from a B-112 has the filler hole in the aluminum base. I thought about swapping bases with the blown engine and the B-112 engine, drilling a hole in the aluminum base and attaching an elbow with a plug that can be removed during filling to check oil level and to release air from within the engine to allow oil in. Draining and FILLING would be performed through the drain hole, with the base rotated so that the drain hole would be on the correct side. This presented several problems. The tire rubbed against the "drain/fill apparatus" I built from pipe fittings. Or when a shorter pipe was used the steering push rod would rub against it. The other option I have available is the title of my post swapping the blown 10 hp for a 16 hp kohler from a mosquito fogger…Ya know those things in the back of the mosquito control trucks that come late at night and wake ya up and leave a bad smelling fog behind them. This has some problems also associated with it. The holes on the flywheel don't line up. The kohler flywheel has holes spaced farther apart than the Briggs. I've also heard that the electoral system is different, but that shouldn't be a problem. The kohler seems like a good option because the oil fill hole is in the cast iron base of the engine, and I can put the aluminum oil pan on backwards so the drain hole will be on the correct side And now for the questions… 1. Where can I find the disk that joins the flywheel to the drive shaft? 2. How much is it? 3. I should be able to get it from a dealer, right? 4. If I were to make my own, what would I use as material? If any one has any other ideas either way kohler or Briggs please let me know, some one must have done this before. Also sorry I wrote a book here but I thought it best to describe the problem in detail. Thanks, john PS. Using the case from the blown engine is not an option since it was half disassembled then left to the weather.

John Yes the Kohler requires a different coupling than the Briggs but they are available from the dealer. You could also convert your Briggs to the newer style that works in the 7010 frame. I have done this. You have the engine out already, you need to drill and tap a 3/8" pipe hole in the 45deg. angle on the right side of the engine and get (either from dealer or from another junk engine) the oil fill pipe and dipstick and thread into the hole that you tapped. Then put a standard pipe plug in the drain hole. You might have to drill and tap the left side of the drain pan for this (there is a place). Good Luck, Mike S.

I have a 700 series AC that I put a B-112 engine in. I removed the short nipple and plugged the oil fill/check hole and ran a short nipple to just outside the frame to a "T" fiting , ran a 2" nipple up made a dip stick into a pipe cap and put a plug in the end of the "T". In a sharp turn when the axle is up in the air the tire just grazes the plug, so the operator has to be on the alert a little. It works, but only for the lack of something better. I think I had to notch the frame with a torch as well. No conern for me as it is a piece together tractor for our own use anyhow. Quite frankly I'd rather not do this kind of engineering job again. On the Kohler, I believe you need a adaptor that bolts to the flywheel with four bolts. It is cast iron and has the two holes for the driveshaft hook up. If this sounds right I may have one. If this is what you need let me know and I'll check. Sam

Yes, the idea that Mike said works because I have doneit before. This sure would beat putting a Kohler engine instead of a Briggs.

Well I thank you all for the info, but since I have always been hesitant about permanently modifying my equipment I think I'll go with the Kohler because it can always be reversed and the appropriate Briggs can be put in. Also I'm in the slow process of restoring the B-112, and have the engine in the garage and figured that I could put it back to work till I get the other tractor together. Thanks again for the info, John