Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

carb. question

wlff

Hello, I have a 3416H,I rebuilt the carb. it runs good at high RPM's but it won't idle with out stalling and it take's awhile for it to come back to an idle off of the high RPM, I adjusted the carb as per the MFG. spec's i found on Simple Tractors.Any suggestion's would be helpful. Thank's Vinnie

When you say it takes a while to come back, is it black or weak? When it idles, does it find a level that can be sustained? To set idle mix, Turn the idle screw (the one on top) and hold the throttle shaft in place lightly against the idle stop(the screw that rides on the shaft). It should try to run. If not, turn the screw in a little bit and open the idle screw slightly. If that didn't produce an acceleration, turn the mix the other way until it slows. Find the place in between where it is smoothest. Then back the idle limit down slowly until it starts to get too slow, bring it back a little to where it is stable. Check overall, by accelerating the throttle. If it is weak on acceleration, richen a little. If smoky, lean it a little. It is a test of patience sometimes, but when you find the sweet spot where all work, you will know it.