Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dark

Dunlap to May pop

Dark
over the winter I had some tire issues, finding the cost of the normal 12 inch tire a bit high i looked to a different approach. I cut the centers out of two spare wheel rims and cut the center out of two Chevy 14 " wheel rims welded the center of my 12 into the 14 and went to find tires. the 12 tire was 78 us dollars at the Ag store for a inexpensive Dunlap tire but two used studded snow tires were 10 dollars each in a 175/75/14 tire. and as normal mounting was extra. now spring comes and I don't want to tear up the lawn much so off to find tires again 4 14 used tires for 20 us dollars out the door price. needless to say ill stick to the cheap version and keep buying use mud tires or may pops cheap . the performance has been very little difference a small increase in rpm to do the same job but not more then i would expect to run while plowing or cultivating with it oh and if anyone has a set of Chevy baby moon hub caps let me know :o).

nateb17010
if you had wanted to make a little trip to eastern Iowa. I would have giving you your choice free used "I have a pile of take offs", or $90.00 new for a pair. that would have fit right on your rims and even a tube or two. also I "think" a dodge small 5 bolt rim fits on with no cutting of stock rims. other wise what you did works in a pinch. but I would have asked around before I did what you did.

Dark
3rd gear is a bit quick and the ride is rough with full air pressure so I bag them around 20 lbs but 1st and second are not much quicker then they were before still mows well and plows with ease.