Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sbull78

restored 725

sbull78
hey guys, there is a restored 725 on ebay, and according to the owner, everything has been redone. starting bid is 500 and the more i look at it the more i want it. My wife is going to kill me again!! what is this thing worth would you say and what are the pros and cons of it. can that small of a motor handle normal lawn mowing? im thinking yes but i've never had one so i don't know. t

wilm169
I love the people like you, if I was the seller. But if I was a buyer after something and so are you I would be really cut:(:(!for running the prices up and the things that are at top price to begin with. With that said: I don't spend that much for any tractor. I also don't buy vertical shaft tractors.

Brettw
I had a 725 and it was a great tractor. Bulletproof, sturdy, did a great job cutting the lawn and has numerous attachments available (vac, tiller, revitalizer, blower blade, etc). Not sure of that specific tractor's value, but for $ 500 it is light years ahead of any $ 1200-2000 land fill big box "tractors".

simplejim
ok i just looked its a simplicity 725,an early large frame tractor with a cast iron big block 7.25hp briggs horizontal shaft engine.if its in good condition it should mow,till and plow just fine.as for the opening bid,once again if its in good shape i echo brettw's reply.

Chris727
I don't think he's talking about a small frame broadmoor. There is a "restored" 725 on ebay. The red flags that I see, are that the seller doesn't have a good description of what was done or replaced, the grill side trim is missing, and lots of things are painted orange that shouldn't be.

MPH
Even not seeing the one your talking about after seeing the new JD's infront of Lowes or wally world today, didn't even look at the price, mine eyes hurt too bad, wow, green gone ugly stick mad. I'd say buy now. Have never mowed with mine but blows snow, tills and plows without a whimper.

comet66
quote:
Originally posted by sbull78
what is this thing worth
In my humble opinion, a good price is the one you are happy with.

Glen112
John - Did you go to the auction at the Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds a couple of weekends ago? There was a 725 on that auction. Just wondered what it went for. Glen

Vassal
My $.02 = I wouldn't bid on anything with such a vague description; "Very nice restored Simplicity 725" unless I saw it in person. Way too much left to "interpretation".

sbull78
i talked to the guy and he said everything and he means everything has been replaced or fully restored. he said it was painted with a gun by someone who know what they are doing and there are no problems at all. i know the market on these tractors is a lot lower than 500, but i have never seen one fully restored for sale and was just picking your brains. It does look like there is a lot of orange going on though compared to others ive seen. I have had one 7014, 3 4212's, and 2 6216's and was just wondering about the power and overall performance of the 725. And wilm23992 i will keep that in mind if i ever want to sell you and vertical shaft tractor, i would expect more out of an advanced contributer such as yourself than you to try to so much as say i am not smart, last time i checked a 725 is a horizontal shafted motor. To everyone else thanks for your help again and dont sell wilm169 a vertical shaft tractor, he doesn't prefer them...especially over 500 bux...lol

mohrds
Wow! That is a lot of Orange!! I think the entire tractor was painted assembled. The rubber fuel line is even orange and I wouldn't be surprised if the belts were orange too! Personally if I asked a seller what was all replaced or repaired and he said "Everything" I'd turn around and walk away. It looks like a quick "paint-over and get it out the door" from the pictures. Without seeing it in person and running it, I wouldn't be too eager for this one. Doug

HubbardRA
Maybe this one would be more reasonable. http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-Simplicity-Riding-Lawn-Mower_W0QQitemZ260406381667QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca16e0c63&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

KSever
quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
Wow! That is a lot of Orange!! I think the entire tractor was painted assembled. The rubber fuel line is even orange and I wouldn't be surprised if the belts were orange too! Personally if I asked a seller what was all replaced or repaired and he said "Everything" I'd turn around and walk away. It looks like a quick "paint-over and get it out the door" from the pictures. Without seeing it in person and running it, I wouldn't be too eager for this one. Doug
Sounds like the FREE tractor I went and picked up just outside Detroit a few years back. I forget where I saw it advertised but I was then located outside Chicago and the Ad said FREE Simplicity Landlord, I emailed the guy to ask how it ran and replied it RAN good. "RAN" do notice, when I got there to pick it up the piston was laying on the seat. I guess a person can't say too much since it was free but I'm sure it RAN good a few years before I got it.:O