Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cleaning Carbon

backdraft341

i removed the head on my 1966 10hp briggs and saw a lot of carbon. is there a way to clean the carbon off the piston top and valves? thanks

Turn the crank til the piston is at the top of travel. Take a plastic putty knife or similar(some use wood) and scrape toward the center of the piston and away from crevices. Take care not to push into the crevices, particularly the valves as this can cause issues. For the top of the valves, after the heavy has been scraped off and wiped off with a paper towel, wire brush lightly. Dust off the loose with either a light blow of compressed air or a paint brush. Slowly rotate the piston down into it's travel a bit and wipe the remainder of the debris(what little made it there) away from the cylinder walls. Reassemble, and voila.

Depending on the amount of build up I have used oven easy off for removing carbon, spray it on ,let it sit, wash it off with a can of wd 40 or crc. not sure if its OK for aluminum but for cast it works great.

If you have the engine out. Tip it on its side so the top (deck) is slightly lower than the crank (so cleaner does not run down into engine). Soak piston top and valves with Castrol Super Clean degreaser (purple jug). Give it about 1/2 hr plus and the carbon comes off with a scotch brite pad. Works great on the head also, leave spark plug in and fill head cavity with super clean.

thanks mikees i will give that a try. does cleaning that carbon make that much of a diffrence?

It can affect compression and in an extreme sense affect rings and valves. Both of which can get stuck or lodged and cause problems which can be much more expensive.