Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
johnmonkey

Bad news for tiller

johnmonkey
The spare tiller I was working on has two bent shafts. One shaft is the main one that the tines connect to, it's 1/2" out of round. No wonder the tine cover plate needed to be welded:(. The other shaft is the one that hooks to the PTO, she s 3/8" out of round. I think that is why the tiller doesn't free spin. I planned on using this tiller as my main one and use my old one as a spare. Mainly because the tines were in great shape. Now I will scavenge the tines off the bent one and clean up my old one and add the nicer tines to it.;). jh

RayS
Sorry to hear about the tiller. Someone must have been tilling a really rocky garden. I tilled a friends garden last year and he had some big rocks and I broke a couple of the welds on the tiller cover on one side. This year when he asked if I would till it again I told him that he needed to buy one.

johnmonkey
Thanks Ray, I just realized that this should be in Talking Tractors. I got one side of the tines replaced without problems. Those tines can get complicated in a hurry, that's why I did half at a time. jh