Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT17 air cleaner

onebadfish

Hello, I noticed after tilling yesterday that my air cleaner seemed loose even thought the wingnut on top of the air cleaner was tight. Upon further examination it appears that 2 spotwelds broke that hold this bracket to the base plate. My question is what is the rigth fix for this. Is this base plate still available? Should it just be rewelded? Or drill and bolted? I have no way to weld (knowledge or equipment) so would have to farm that work out. Ideally I would like to find another base plate with that bracket still attached I suppose. Any ideas? I am interested in preserving the original astetics but something this hidden I suppose doesnt matter much. Thanks in advance, Tim

bolting it would work as long as you used red lock-tight with a lock washer. "remember there's a lot of vibration" also you don't want to lose some thing down the intake "bolt" your engine will eat it ant it will not be pretty. pop riveting it. same problem will work lose. wielding it still the only way but.... jb wield would get you by make sure it is clean and drill out the spot wield and make some puddle on top let sit and see if it worked. good luck.

+1 on the steel rivetsdOd Another thought, drill and tap the bracket (10-32 or maybe 1/4-20), install screws form underside and use lock tight (you would have to remove base plate to assemble). If screws vibe loose or fall out, the engine won't be eating them. You could also consider peening the screws over so they can't back out - done deal - just like a throttle plate.

Thanks all I am a big fan of JB weld, not sure if I will try that or the other options mentioned here, the idea of her eating metal does not appeal to me. Tons of vibration there for sure.

Just an FYI, I tried my favorite fix it all JB weld to fix this, I am not surehow long it lastedC. I have no idea how long it ran without a fiter on it, I raised the hood to check oil after mowing and found the can laying on the engine...grrr I am sure I sucked up a bunch of cotton wood seeds... I made a nice puddle under each side of the bracket with JB (after thoroughly cleaning of course) then ran a bead along both sides of the mounting surface. Maybe the vibration proved to be too much for JB weld. So off to the welder I go....anyone have a suggestion for a welder for minor repairs like this one? Something that can weld up to maybe 1/4' bar also would be nice. Thanks, Tim

Hi, Not sure where you are located, but here in Oshkosh Wisconsin there are a few small weld shops that will fix something like that for about $5. I always try to help those guys out with something if I can, and it works good, kind of a barter system. If you weld like I do, you really want someone who knows what they are doing to weld it! Steve

Hello I am with you Steve . Take off the bracket and the base and take it to a weld shop 5 min fix.They also shouldn't charge more then 5 bucks. nick

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
http://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=168_235
Thanks fro the link they seem to have some good prices and lots of stuff available, I found a local shop that welded it up for $5 as predicted by the folks here, thanks all for the advice.