Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clutch Repair on A/C B-112

butch

My clutch quit working on my tractor and for the life of me I can't see how it works even looking at the parts manual, but does anyone out there have an idea of what could have happened, the( what i call the break drum)isn't turning at all but thats all that i know at this time. Someone shed some light on this as i am completely in the dark, also i can't find the manufactures No. but it is a B-112 and from the ser. no. it was built in 1968, any help?

It could be one of several things. The clutch is just a belt between the two pulleys on the right side of the transmission. Check the belt. If there is sufficient side-to-side clearance, the gear on the right side hub can disengage from the spider gears in the diff. You could have sheared a key either in the axle or the left side hub. You could have broken the torque tube going from the tranny to the differential. This is assuming the pulleys and the shaft going into the transmission are turning when the clutch is released. If the forward pulley is not turning at all, then the Bevel Gear Box has gone bad. Or the least likely, you could have broken something inside the transmission. It will take a little diagnosis to find out what part is not working.

-----This is assuming the pulleys and the shaft going into the transmission are turning----Just to add to this assumption, make sure the transmission shaft is turning, not just the pulley. Possible you sheared the key on the tranny pulley.

Both of the drive pulleys and shafts are turning on the right side and I'm assuming that the gears inside are because they are all grinding when i try to engage them. Does the variable speed belt slip when the break is applied or is there something else going on. are there repair books for this tractor.

Butch, Sounds like your drive belt came off the clutch idler, or your variable drive is out of adjustment. The equivalent Simplicity Mfg. No. for your tractor would be 990494 for manual lift or 990495 for power lift. Either of those manuals would have the detailed adjustment procedure for the variable drive. The belt MUST stop when the brake/clutch pedal is pushed down. Good luck, Jim

Well here was the problem, as i was taking the brake drum off i noticed that it would try to turn the wheels as it was turned thus telling me that it was working properly so I unhooked the brake and in doing so the idler disengaged the belt freeing it up and allowing me to engage the gears. As it turns out my brother replaced the V/S belt with a generic belt thus he had to readjust everything including the brake to make it work and when I put the right belt on it would not disengage and allow the transmission to work seems simple now but it had me going there for a few days and the break only spins when the tractor is moving. Thanks for all the input