Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help! I need more height on my mowing deck!

jmfellers

I have a AC 919H with a 48" mowing deck that I would like to have cut grass a bit higher than it does. I have adjusted the deck via the handles on each side to the highest level and it still cuts shorter than I would like with my new lawn. The manual says not to mow with the deck in the raised position, but even then I still would like to cut a couple inches higher. Any suggestions or ways to raise tractor a few inches? Thanks for any help. John

How high is it cutting? With new rollers and a new 5/8" bar that they ride on the most you will get is 3 inches. If you don`t get 3 inches you need to check the condition of the rollers and the bar they ride on.

Taller front tires will help you get more cutting height. You will also need to confirm the height of the blade tips at the back of the deck. Your rollers and roller bar need to be in top condition to get the max useable height. Scratch made height adjusting arms, with the roller bar hole positioned lower, will help get the back of the deck at a higher setting.

You also need to back out the turnbuckles on the front of the deck. For max cutting height unscrew the turnbuckles all the way (detatched) then screw them back in about 6 full rotations then tighten the jam nuts. Raising the back of the deck won't help much if the front is still low. Warning: On the 48" decks it has been my experience they don't have enough vacuum to lift the grass laid over by the front wheels if the deck is set to its highest height resulting in 2 strips of grass not being cut as short which looks like crap. Gator blades do help this a lot but don't completely solve it. 42" decks cut nicer than the 48", again in my experience.

Just to clarify the topic of dont mow with the deck up, if you do it will rub the belt on the deck bail frame. For short term it will work but it kills the belt(I did it some before I knew better). What is the reason for it needing to be so high? Most grasses can tolerate the 2.5 range when fresh if the blades are sharp.

Love my gator blades!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could get them for my 60" on my 1920!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I will check the mowing height tommorow to see exactly where I am at. I may be close to 3" but it looks shorter, plus the guy that sprays my lawn said I am mowing it to short( and he is in the grass growing business, I hope he is telling me right!) and that I should raise my deck. My rollers are all original and in bad shape, so maybe I will try replacing those first then get some gator blades! Thanks again for the help.

I keep hearing great things about the gator blades. I have had mixed results so far with my 48" deck and newly sharpened blades. I have noticed that the cut is not as "crisp" as I had hoped. Also looking for those stripes. Anyone happen to have the part numbers for gator blades for a 48" simplicity deck? Also a good resource to purchase and approx. price? Thanks, Tim

My Gator blades do much better than the stockers. I still get those annoying stripes of folded grass from the front wheels when mowing at max height as Brent mentioned. My vacuum collector helps a bit if I use it. I wish there was a higher lift gator blade.

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck11.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck13.jpg[/img]
If you put new rollers and a new 5/8" roller bar on, add these 3/4" O.D. by 5/8" I.D., bushings. It will save the rollers from wallowing out. I also installed the bushings in the leveling arms (where the roller bar goes through).

Another tip on better mowing is make sure the blades are down 1/8 to 1/4" in the front, compared to the back - blades running front to back in relation to the tractor frame. I am pretty sure that Simplicity always used to say run the back lower, but no one else does that. The theory behind the front being lower is that you want to cut the grass only one time - that means the leading edge of the blades need to get the grass cut to the height you want. If the front is higher by say 1/4" than the back, as you drive along, you will cut the grass to let's say 3", then the blade spins around and the back end of the deck is 1/4" lower, so the blade then needs to try to cut only 1/4" off the end of the blade of grass. Not easily done, and can lead to a tattered blade of grass. Not only that, but the discharge of clippings has an easier path if cut by the front - clippings get tossed out the deck along the front of the deck shell. If the deck is also cutting at the back, those clippings need to make their way all around the blade, housing etc. before it gets to the discharge chute. Just something I have learned over the years. On a 7000/7100 48" deck, getting it adjusted down in the front can take some work, especially if the shell has been treated rough and may be bent. Also, see other posts about changing from the stepped or gull wing blades to the flat blades if need be. Tim