Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3410H Steering Questions

JayM

The grass is growing in this part of Wisconsin and I need to get that deck on! But first, I'm looking for some tips or suggestions re: the steering on the Landlord I got last fall. (I call it my 3416H because a former owner put a 16 hp B&S in it.) Two questions: 1) There's a lot of play in the steering, almost a 1/4 turn of the wheel. 2) When I crank it all the way to the left the steering seems to hit a stop. When to the right, there is no stop. It will turn until the tractor is pushing the front wheels sideways. In looking at the repair manual I have, it looks as though the play means I need to adjust the capscrews in the steering plate. . .and the steering mechanism needs to be removed from the tractor to do this. Am I that really reading that right? (One of those questions you're afraid to ask!) Any advice from those of you who are more experienced hands will be appreciated. . . . .Jay

You have read that part right, but don't get all bugged out , its not really that bad of a job to do. There are two bolts in the side of the frame and one underneath that hold the steering column in place. You also have to diconnect the steering wheel and the steering rod from the column assembly. Once all that is off take the column out from under the tractor. It only gets complicated if you have a power lift, and I still have manged taking it out without removing the lift. Put the assembly in a vise and put the steering wheel on, then tighten and loosen the bolts till it feels right turning the wheel. Then put it all back in the tractor reverse procedure. BUT this is only one thing to look at. Look for play in the bracket attached to the left front axle. Most of the time this is where much of the slop is. Sometimes it is a simple as tightening the set screws, other times the keyways are shot meaning replacement parts are in order. Also look at the steering rod that goes from the column to the axle bracket. See if the ends are worn badly. Also while the rod is diconnected look at the position of the steering arm on the column under the tractor. Position it so it is in the center of its travel then hook up your connecting rod so that the wheels are straight forward.You do this by screwing the ends on the rod in or out for the adjustment. I hope I have not forgot something. Keep Smiling, Sam