Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bob1959

HB212 Hydrostatic

bob1959
I have a chance to buy a HB212 with a lot of implements at a good price. The rear axle broke but he has all the parts to fix it. I am not familiar with the hydrostatic drive. Are they very reliable and do they leak much. I have only owned the B110's in the past w/o hydro. Thanks

PhanDad
The HB-212 will have a Vickers hydro; IMO they are very reliable, BUT they do tend to leak around the pintle shaft. My Homelite T-12 Vickers has been leaking a small amount for years, but other than that, no other problems. The leak isn't bad, but I do need to keep a mat under it after use to collect the drips. The pintle only leaks during operation, but the "leak" lasts many hours after shutdown as the fluid flows from the top of the hydro/tranny assembly to grade. Others have had the pintle shaft leak much more. Many "homemade fixes" can be found if you do a search. I think a "re-bushed" Vickers pump from Sandy Lake is $400 to $500 exchange, so a fix can be expensive. I prefer the Vickers hydro to the newer Sunstrand; to me, it's "smoother".

D-17_Dave
The Vickers Hydro is a very good unit, but as described has the shaft leak due to old age and wear. It's not a hard thing to fix but it requires the tear down of the pump to remove the input shaft on the linkage so it's rather involved. I too prefer the Vickers tranny over the Sundstrand but I think it's mainly due to the shift linkage setup over the actual tranny. I feel like you have a lot more "FEEL" over the controls on the B-series which id different to the large frame tractors setup. You'll be very pleased with this tractor in both it's performance and ergonomics. If the price is right it's a no loose situation.

johnmonkey
I have a 7112 Hydro I use for mowing and it is easy to get used to. My old mowing tractor is my 710 6 speed, she was great, but I don't miss the shifting. jh

Chris727
Those are a desirable model and if the price is right I'd go for it, some of the implements might also work on your B-110. Not all the vickers leak, I have two and neither of mine leak yet (knock on wood). If I had the money and space, I'd jump at the chance for another.

acfarmer
I just bought a Simplicity 3212H same as the AC 212H seems to be a nicely set up little tractor.Those hydros really spoil me.In lookng at the tractor descriptions one 3212H says PL and one says ML what does that mean? The lift mechanism? Mine is hydraulic lift.

bob1959
Well I bought it. I couldn't pass this deal up. I bought a 1970 HB212 for $275. It comes with a sickle bar, snow blower, snow blade, 48" mower and chains. Engine is strong and smoke free and the hydro is in great shape. He broke a rear axle but bought all the parts to repair. I'm bringing it home Sat. and can't wait on getting started to restore her. Does anyone know if my 42" mower deck will fit this model. I have rebuilt the 42" deck and would like to keep it.

PhanDad
You're a thief; what a great deal! You can use the 42" deck on the HB-212, but I'm not sure about the cross drive belt length. Pretty sure the 42" decks use a 44" belt and the 48" decks use a 45" belt, regardless of tractor. I'm expecting to see pics in Show & Tell soon. :)

johnmonkey
$275.00??? your picture should be on the Post office wall. The sickle bar alone is worth $275.00:D. I wish I could find a deal like that 8C8C.

bob1959
THANKS!! The sickle bar looks like its in great condition. He said there was one broken part on it which I will research when I bring it home, otherwise it looks complete. I may sell it because I have no real need for a sickle bar as I live in the woods.

JimDk
Bob, That is a great buy on that HB-212. As the others said, there is more value in the attachments than you paid. I gave more than that for a bare tractor with a worn engine. I transplanted a 16hp engine into it and gave it a paint job. By the way, it's nice to have another member from PA. Post some pictures of the HB when you get it home. Jim Here is a picture of mine with my wife mowing today. It does a great job.

bob1959
Well I got the HB 212 home and started work on it right away. It hadn't been run for 3 yrs so I chg the oil and pulled out the old plug and gave her a shot of oil before putting in a new one. I gave it some fresh gas it finally fired up and ran great. No smoking while running or in start up. I wanted to see if the engine ran OK before I pulled it from the frame. The rear axle is broke so the hubs and wheels are off the frame. I plan on tearing down everything to the frame and bring it back all restored. This tractor will be a keeper for me so I want it to be right. I noticed the steering wheel is broken and I will need one if anybody knows where to get one. It is also missing the center piece. I have been taking pictures and hope to post later as we go.

Benn
sounds like you got a great deal. that hydro sounds nice, wish i had one. the odd ebay seller tends to have steering wheels at a decent price,good luck with the restore.