Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

starter hub- old fashioned kind

steve-wis

Hello to all, I want to replace the rewind starter on a 5 hp briggs with the old fashioned hub that you wind the rope around and then pull and the rope comes off the hub at the end. Where can I buy a hub? What are they called? I searched on google and found nothing. My local dealer says briggs wants $62.95 for one....they must be crazy. I am thinking they can't be worth more than $5 or $10. Any advice on where to find one? The reason for replacing the rewind is that all the holes in the block for mounting the shroud are stripped, the shroud is bent beyond recognition, and the rewind is junk. It is an old beater that I just want to be able to start. Thanks for any help. Steve

Is it a horizontal or a vertical ,I might have a schroud youneed so you can still use rewind. Post a picture so I can see what I might have to help you out,you might be ablr to tap the holes out nd go with bigger screws

It is called rope starter. In parts identification reference number it is item 325. I have a P/N for a 6 HP 221400. Try using model 135202 and find item 325.

You can do what the go-cart racers do and remove the rope wheel inside the rewind and simply slip it over the starter clutch and give it a pull. This is somewhat dangerous without the schroud so I'd find a way to keep it in place. Once you pull the rope you must keep the rope tight untill you slide the wheel off the engine. Racers did this to remove the drag from the starter clutch. Also it won't take long to overheat the engine without some sort of schroud in place.

Hi, Well, I went to a place that has a big pile of old mowers and found one, and only one, of the hubs I wanted. Bought the old push mower complete for $10. Got it home, removed the hub, and put it, along with the small screen, on the 5 hp engine. I also got the shroud straightened out enough to bolt it back on with two bolts, so overheating shouldn't be an issue. It works great! The reason I went this way was because all of the bolt holes in the shroud were broken out, and two of the four tapped holes in the block were broken right out. Also the recoil was junk. The plastic hub had welded onto the metal drive hub and the whole thing was turning with the engine. It is so messed up that this was the best answer, and simple. Thanks for the info from all. Steve