Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electrical problem

Nubian

Tried to start my Ultima and I noticed smoke coming from the solenoid area. Solenoid was very hot to touch, Assumed I had a bad solenoid. Bought a replacement and yell forgot to disconnect battery so while installing the new one it sparked a little, did not start still.Did I fry it? Checked the starter and discovered that the engine shroud had come loose and grounded itself against the positive nut on the starter. Is the starter now fried also? I will test starter tomorrow. Any other ideas?

You may have burnt the new solenoid but, since you found the dead short and corrected it you can now try it and see what happens. It may be that you are OK now.

Eddy, The same thing happen to me, check out the link http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103865

I think your right Ken, I reconnected the wires wrong. And it is now working, I will now reinstall the other new solenoid correctly and see if it works. I guess i'll have a new spare if it does. Thanks everyone for the input. I now have another problem with my Jewel of an Ultima :)