Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

727 hand brake in-op

Vassal

Hoping you guys can help with this one. Recently I adjusted the brake on my 727 Broadmoor so she'll actually stop when needed. I then tried the parking (hand) brake and it's acting a little weird. It seems to lock down pretty good, but as soon as I release the foot brake, it becomes loose and won't hold the machine (in neutral). It looks like the brake rod actually pulls the rear end forward on the left side when I apply the foot brake. I discovered the frame swivel point works fine for normal up/down axle pivoting, but it also allows the rear half to swivel fore and aft a little when I apply the foot brake, like there's too much slop at the frame pivot. This added added slop allows the brake rod to rock the rear end section back and forth when I use the foot brake. I checked the swivel point and don't see a way to adjust slop at the frame pivot. So I tried to loosen the lock collar and squeeze things together (by hand) while I re-tightened it, to no avail. Is there a better way to do this? Does this sound like I'm on the right track? Am I overlooking something more obvious? Did I over-adjust the brake causing the rear frame to rock forward too much on the left side when braking? Thanks!

Mike - I am a little confused by your description about "swivel for and aft." The pivot is designed to swivel around the vertical plane. If the parts are severely worn, I suppose that there could be enough slop to allow movement in the horizontal plane. If the male part is not held tightly, there could also be front-to-back slop. In the dozen or more Broadmoors that I have had, I have never experienced any of these. So all I can suggest is that you take it apart (not too much work) to see where the fit is not tight as it should be. Tom in Milwaukee

Tom, thanks for the reply and the tips. You are correct, I was refering to movement on the horizontal. In other words, this rear section movement causes a change in wheelbase, it gets shorter on the left side and longer on the right side as the foot brake is applied. Essentially, the brake rod 'pulls' the left rear of the tractor forward and I mean by a noticeable amount. When the foot brake is released, the left side 'swivels' back to it's original position, thereby releasing the 'hold' the park brake had. I will take it apart to get a better look at what's going on. Thanks, Mike

I thought that is what you meant, but I have never observed this type of movement in any of the tractors that I have had. Sounds like something is extremely worn or maybe the the bolts holding the male part to the transmission are loose, or the female part has broken welds on the front frame. Tom