Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loader dump cylinder - can pitting be fixed?

Simpleton7016

I found a dump cylinder for my L112. My first question is: does and L112 Loader exist? It seems to me that the manual that goes with my loader said L112 - but I am not home right now to check it. I know there was an "L 12"....I am not sure about the "L 112". If it does exist, is there any chance the dump cylinder is the same between the two? If so, please see the pictures. I know the o-rings will need to be replaced, but can the pitting issue be resolved? If so, how costly will it be? This is all really a dang shame too. I know that the cylinder that came with Ron's loader is/was around here somewhere, but I have searched high and low and can not locate it! Watch for a post in the coming months when I find it while looking for some insecticide or something. Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/cylinder1resized.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/cylinder2resized.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/pittedcylinder1resizedjpg.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/pittedcylinderresized.jpg[/img]

Hmm , that looks like an oem style cylinder. Yes the l112 loader does exsist as I have had one or two. A good hydraulis shop should be able to set you in the right direction, pitting can be repaired to some extent but it may be less exspensive to replace the the piston (shaft).
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/DSCN1467.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/DSCN1451.JPG[/img]

If just using the cyl. is the point then you can polish the rod smooth with some fine grit of your choice so it won't tear out the seal. As long as you have clean oil in the system then you'll be OK. The only way to fix this is to have a repair shop re-rod the cyl.

Thanks guys....a soft sanding and clean fluid look like the "hot ticket". Thanks!

In the old days, we would silver solder the deep pits and then polish the rod.