Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Let's see hitch pictures

grnlark

I'm designing a trailer hitch in my head sm00 for my Landlord and am looking for design ideas. It would just be to hold a standard 1 7/8" trailer hitch ball so I can move my utility trailer around the yard. Fabrication and welding are no problem. I want the hitch assembly to be a bolt-on to the existing vertical hitch bars that are part of the rear lift assembly. Got any ideas and/or pics?

Here you go:

I believe the top one is the OEM part. I need one of these hitches, too. Will you make one for me? Take your pick on the design. #2 and #3 are similar and appear simple to make. Either could be built with 2 ears that could be pinned or bolted thru the holes you see halfwaw up the vertical support. There is one ear on this one, but it does not seem to match up with the hole in the support. I do not need one that can be raised up and down, but I will take any design! Let me know how much! Tom in Milwaukee

Yeah, I'm not thinking my needs will necessitate having to go up and down either. I have a few good ideas brewing in this pea brain of mine. I was looking at ones on eBay to see if it was even worth the effort of building one. I'm not real crazy about any of setups I see on there and they all look cheesy. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 40-50 bucks for one. All the inexpensive ones look like the guy forgot to turn on his gas when he welded them. :D Your posted pics are more what I had in mind - something a little meaty. I built one a few years back for my daily mower Crapsman. I'll get a prototype together this weekend and post pics.

Here is the one I built. I wanted it to be versatile enough for any of my trailers, and also to be able to attach other items to it. The ball mount bolts on and can be slid up and down to match the height of the trailer it is being used with.

#2 I am pretty sure was welded up by Roy. He recently made one for me and it works like a charm. I like the incorporated stop feature which was well thought out and makes it so i dont have to remember to stop at top of stroke.

here is one i got from a club member who made them for a limited time only. this hitch is awsome. can be used on the front or rear of the tractor and attaches quickly with just 2 pins. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/BROADMOOR038.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh79/69DEZ/Picture205.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh79/69DEZ/Picture203.jpg[/IMG]

John, That is a great hitch design. I never thought of just bolting a ball mount to the sleeve hitch adapter. That is a very simple fix. Wish I had thought of it.

John what did you use for the reciever part? was that a homemade device? It looks pretty cool. jh

that brinley hitch and ball mount looks pretty good ^. i have a perfect ball mount i could mount on mine if needed. the one thing i see maybe a promblem is the amount of weight carried on that ball setup especialy with a hydro lift. but it looks like its sits in the furthest down positon so it may not be to bad. just would'nt want the hydraulics holding the tounge weight of a trailer. just a thought :).

I noticed after cutting the grass my pump is leaking ngr2 No I never used it yet to move my boat. ngr2 It's always something....

I just drilled the pin-hitch yoke to take the ball and made a flatstock plate bolt with the ball's nut and drilled the plate to take the pin for the cart. It's a little low but it works decently.

Nah, not mobile homes. The most I have towed with my 716H is my tandem axle trailer with my son's 84 Mustang GT on it.:D

NO mobile home yet but....;) ya never know, I move a 16 foot utility trailer and a single jet ski trailer, it just makes it nice while mowing to not have to go get a truck to move them, or ever leave the seat of the tractor for that matter...functionality is the name of the game.

• 3 months later...
I had to go back looking through posts but finally found this... I knew I had seen it before and didn't need it at the time. Does anyone already have a jig made up and willing to make one or two of these in the CT, MA, RI area? I'd be interested in buying instead of starting from scratch if you know what I mean. Thanks!:o)

quote:
Originally posted by MowerMechanic
psssst, i think these guys are towing mobile homes with these hitch's. sshhh
Hey I have pulled travel trailers 23 feet plus, older 70 models that were heavy, all with a 716 Allis and a stock hitch. This was just for short distances mainly to park the trailers tightly in the shed where the trailers park 90 degrees to the door and a truck would never fit. The AC would park the trailers quite well, granted the snowblower mounted helped give you some weight on front wheels, but you lost some maneuverability. Someone sitting the hood worked as well. But we were pulling short distances not across the yard, mainly just to get the trailers in and out of the tight spots.

About a year ago I was looking around at hitch designs that others had come up with, for Large Frame Simplicity tractors. I saw a few good ones, including the OEM design that fits the back and front of the tractors. I didn't find anything that had the features I wanted in a rear hitch. What I wanted was: #1 - No tools required to mount it, everything else doesn't need any tools; mower deck, snow plow, tiller, etc. #2 - Supporting it with the tiller lift arm would be too much to ask of the small cable that pulls from the front and the hitch position would change if used in combination with any other attachments. #3 - It had to have clearance for the tiller lift arm in all positions. #4 - It needed to use a standard 2" square automotive hitch, the same one I use on my van, NO tools again. #5 - It needed to be real close to the same height as the hitch on my van. #6 - Without the ball inserted, it shouldn't stick out any further than the tiller lift arm. I didn't think these were unreasonable expectations so I got a design in my head, started cutting and welding, and this is what I ended up with.

The bottom flat stock is cut up pieces of another Simplicity hitch. I only needed the tiller lift arm but got a whole rear hitch through eBay. The square stock was 2-1/4" inside so I added some flat stock as shim material so the 2" square wasn't sloppy.

The angle iron tabs of the upper portion hang on the 3/4" cross bar. 2 quick pins attach it with the lower holes.

Standard rear hitch configuration with the lift arm.

Hitch installed.

Profile view of the hitch installed.

Hitch installed with a 2-5/16" ball. These pictures are of the hitch mounted on my 7014s but it fits the same on all my tractors, other than the 6118. I have no problems moving my 16" tandem trailer with it. It also works great to hook the tractor to the trailer when loading and unloading stuff so the tongue doesn't lift off the ground. And as said above, it is GREAT to not have to move a big vehicle just to mow under the trailer.

I drilled a hole in my homemade johnny bucket and installed a 2" ball, works great and and it's held in place with a hitch pin for quick removal. I should have offset it though, hard to see the ball because I centered it.