Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

UGLY Lawn Cut Picture need advice

AC_B-1Novice

My 6216 was cutting bad so I adjusted the blades per the manual.Front & side are set correct as far as I can see. I can still see the track of all three blades as you can see in the photo taken from my front window. Does anyone have any idea what causes this? Could my center blade be adjusted wrongly for height somehow?

It kinda looks as though your blades are so worn that they are to short and it is leaving unmowed area between the blades. I could very well be wrong though.

I never thought of that. The blades on the mower are the ones that were on it when I bought it. I will check it out. Thanks

I would say blades,make sure underneath deck is clean(has the right vacuum action to lift the grass) - all shrouds under deck are right - mower deck belt is adjusted right/tight when engaged - just some ideas^ make sure blades a sharp and the right size...

Kinda hard to tell looking at the pictures but the cuts seem to be concaved, ie lowest in the center of the dips, if that's the case, it would seem to me the rear of the blades must be a lot lower then the fronts. If it's flat inbetween the high points I'd say the blades are to short to be lapping each other.

I am not knowlegable about the 6216, but could the belt be flipped the wrong way which would be making the blades spin the wrong direction and try to cut with the back side of the blade? This can be done on the large frame tractors, because I have done it a couple times when changing belts. My lawn looked a lot like yours the last time I did that. I am not sure what the belt routing is on your tractor.

Since the 6216 is a vertical crank engine, the belt does not need to be twisted. However, it is a right side discharge and the blades spin backwards compared to the typical Simp decks. Could be the wrong blades for that model. My 2 cents, please value accrodingly.

Thanks guys, just what I needed was all the ideas I could get that were out there. Now I can start checking each and every post offered. If and when I find out what fixes it I will post it so others may see. Thanks again.

My first thought would be the blades being worn out, to short. Second would be it has left hand discharge blades on it. Both were mention earlier but I figured I should post:).

My 6111 was mowing like that and I found the belt to be worn and slipping real bad.Got a new belt and adjusted it and sharpened blade and it solved my problem..

I would also check they spindle bearings.The tension of the belt along with a worn out bearing could "tilt" one blade causing these "humps"