Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity power max 4041

vanzilela

hi folks I just joined and have a power max 4041 that i am looking at restoring and am in need of a starter for it to get it started.I will also be looking for any leads on parts for it.i don't think it needs too much i will find out as i go along.all info on this tractor would also help greatly.getting her running is my first project.8D

Helo Larry, there are several good threads on how to lift the engine to get at the starter. When mine gave up, I only needed to pull it out, clean the brushes, and cut back the insulator between the contact segments on the shaft (Commutator) this is done with a broken off hacksaw blade. I did mine about 4 years ago, and last I heard it was still working (I loaned the tractor to a buddy 3 years ago). Good luck with yours.

welcome larry! i'm rebuilding a 4041 myself. starter works fine but pulled the engine to replace the stator and gear cover. also pulled out the brake disks to get the oil out. the guy thats doing the work for me said my axel shafts look like new. ebay is a good source for parts. later, greg

Welcome aboard. With the starter issue, a lot of times on these Onan's it turns out to be the key switch won't give enough amps to the relay on the starter. Take the wire coming from the relay and run it to the positive terminal and see if it starts. Al Eden sells a relay kit to remedy this.

thanks for the welcome.!I can see that this is going to be a fun time with this little machine.I have had this tractor for a while now but some idiot I was fiends with took it to replace starter and I had to threaten him with going to court to get my tractor back and I never got the starter i payed for, what a mess I'm happy just to have her back although this set me back in restoring her I'm now on my way and most certainly do and will appreciate all of the help I can get from this websight. I plan on taking some pictures sooon and will post my progress. Larry