Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dark

Front counter weight

Dark
How much does the OEM front counter weight weigh? I am going to build one but would like an idea of the weight involved I was going to start with pipe and melt lead to fill it as necessary.

dav
mark, i don't know the weight but i'm thinking it's 20 or 25 pounds. i was moving one two days ago and thinking that it seems heavier every time i move it. (i'm not getting out of shape-these walmart jeans keep shrinking!!) i'm sure you've heard all the cautions about melting lead-hot splatters, poisonous fumes, and so on. and it uses up a lot of propane which would be better used in the Grill. not knowing your pipe size, you might be able to fill it with concrete. not so toxic and a lot easier and cleaner to work with. i had planned once to do the pipe/cement weight. instead i got a piece of shaft from a conveyer headpulley at the gravel pit. it's 2 15/16(there are a lot of sizes) and weights enough to do the job. your local gravel or redi-mix company might give you a junk one. the original Simplicity weight that i got years later measures 3 1/2 inch diameter by 15 inches long.

1969nicholas
Hi I have used old rollers off of concrete trucks.They work great and there up to about 80 pounds.I am sure if you go to your local concrete company they will give them to you or charge you for scrap iron price. nick

MPH
The one I made a few years back i think is right at 40lbs and works great. I used some solid round iron I got off a paving contractor, no clue what they were for but he had a pile of them he wantted gone.:)

Dark
Thanx Guys, I have the tools for lead work and know those dangers. :o) I make fishing weights but if the weight wasn't high could use the shavings from the brake drum lathe. So it sounds like anywhere from 25 to 80lbs will work, (just didn't want to stress the front end more then needed).