Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rsnik

Time to work the dirt...

rsnik
Time to plant the veggie garden. I had a neighbor dig out the dirt in the front garden some years back with an excavator and bought/filled with slaughterhouse loam which is the ground up bones of slaughtered animals mixed with sawdust and screened loam. I have found, after 2 seasons, that there is too much sawdust in the mix and the soil is too fluffy. It is almost impossible to plant seeds as they dry out and die off. I found a guy who has loam with a high content of clay (not usually desirable) and added 4 yards of it to a 20 X 40' area. I used a 46" dozer blade to spread it and a combination of rototiller and belly mount cultivator to mix the soils. I got the belly mount cultivator from Erik. Erik deserves to be named the club goodies guy of the decade for his efforts to share the wealth. He has, or had, so much cool stuff and would work himself to the bone getting it to you. Here is the belly mount cultivator I got from Erik:

Is this how this thing goes together? I mounted it and some things became obvious:

You have to position the shovels and knives so that they will not hit the running boards when raised and use "mother's wit" to determine how aggressive you want the shovels to dig and the angles and depth of the knives. I just eye balled it but I got it pretty much right because it worked really good:

I was amazed at how the shovels and knives of the cultivator mixed the soils and leveled the ground at the same time.

D-17_Dave
That mid-mount was orriginally designed for FDT's. They work well but those pesky run'in boards get in the way of setting them up properly for row width. Looks good though, any tractor time is good time.

Vassal
I probably have not been paying attention:o), but I think this the first belly-mount cultivator I've seen on a Simple trACtor. That is so cool and it looks like it does a terrific job, amazing how smooth it finishes! Thanks for sharing and good luck with your crops!

msiebern
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the knives on the ends instead of the regular shovels? I don't think I have seen one set up like that.

Blazerjeepman3
I like that setup too. I have 2 section cultivator one part is belly mounted with 2 small shovels mounted close to the center of the tractor and the 2nd part is rear mounted with 4 sweeps mounted across the 32" bar. I bought this setup from an estate sale in 1979 . This site shows some excellent pictures of this setup under allis chalmers,attachments,cultivator. I have mine on a B-10