Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BIG_TEN deck (help)

I have A 42 inch deck on the big ten and every time I raise the deck the cross drive belt hits the deck. As far as I know all pulleys and belts are correct. Is there something that I am doing wrong or is this just the way these tractors are. I have restored the wonderfull old BIG_TEN and I want to be able to cut grass with it. Just one more thing I just bought a parts manual for this tractor and I have the spring loaded differential but my parts book does not show any springs. this is the main reason I got this book. My diff is locked up and I cant get it unlocked please help me with these problems.sorry sooooo long thank you scott

Yes it is normal for the cross-drive belt to touch the mower in the transport position - they are meant to be run on the ground - not in the air. If you need more cutting height and don't care about the floating feature carefully raise the lift handle and fix it with a stop pin in one of the appropriate holes just before the belt starts to touch. You will also need to fix another lift chain to keep it level. The differentials did not come with springs until 1971 so apparently yours has been updated. What is the exact problem you are having - rear tires scuffing during turns? Try loosening the hub tension screws and see if that doesn't help. If not you may have the differential assembled incorrectly. Did you have it apart during your restoration?

I would bet you have the inner dif gear in backwards. The hub side should face out. If the gear side is facing out it will mesh with both sets of spider gears & won't allow differential action.