Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need to get deck up higher

OrangeMetalGuy

My deck is cutting too low. I am pretty sure I have it adjusted as high as it can get, but the grass is about 1/2 to 3/4" too low for my liking. I have the rear adjusted all the way down, and on the fronts, the eyebolts are turned out almost all the way (the threaded shaft ends about halfway into the eyebolt). Any suggestions? It's a 48"-er on a 716H.

There was a post on this topic about 2 weeks ago. I can't remember if it was here, or in another forum. I'd look, but we are on our way out the door. Taller front tires will help, as will a roller bar and rollers in A1 condition.

Well, let's see... if I was trying to shorten the length I could do that.. but I need to lengthen it. When it gets cooler out later today after the sun starts going down I'll see how much further out I can extend them.

On my 42" deck, I made longer bars that support the roller rod. But from the picture of this large deck, it appears that these roller supports are made with a bend in them - or am I seeing things??? Tom

Tom are you referring to the middle picture? Basically, tightening the adjustment handles forces the supports with the rod downward away from the bail, hence raising the deck up. In my case, it's already down as far as it can go.

In the third picture, you have the nut circled. This nut is on a stud (actually a welded bolt) of the roller support bar. This roler support bar is a straight bar on 36" and 42" mower decks, and it is easy to make a new, longer one. On this big 48" deck, it appears that this bar is formed with a bend in it. However, it looks like a straight one would work ... the rollers might be spaced a little farther back from the edge of the deck. Tom

just a thought, but maybe you have those aluminum spacers on the arbors and don't need them? You may not be able to raise the deck, but you might be able to shorten the arbors and hence the height of the blades?

You need to turn the front adjustment yoke in to raise the front - the middle front blade tip should be 1/8" higher than a rear side blade tip. You may need to lower the side T handles equally a little before doing this and then max them out clockwise after you have the proper blade "pitch".

Oops,sorry. I see now that yours is just bass ackwards to mine. I had to turn my turnbuckles in to get lift. It is a 36".

I have the same problem on my B-212 The brackets are blent looking because if they was not then they would hit the rear tires in in elevation ajustments