Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Garden goes in and wheel comes off...

rsnik

Had this happen recently? I was mowing and the steering wheel came off in my hands. This happened all the time with the Keystone Cops and WC Fields and all that, but with today's modern, 40 year old tractors this seems a bit much!

No harm done as it happened just as I throttled down onto level ground. It was not the bolt that came loose, it was the internal bond that failed. I had a spare wheel and was back in service in minutes. Memorial Day is the day we put in the garden in this northern clime.

All the soil amending and tilling has been done and it's time to hill, furrow and plant:

Notice this shot:

Obviously I am taking pictures instead of working. Also notice that the new-to-me Sovereign 18 Hydro that has consumed so much of my time recently is being given light duty work while I am off doing chores with the proven, reliable, 7013S:

In all honesty you do need a utility tractor to haul water, plants, stakes etc. and a nice looking one is not a bad thing:

Looking great Jonathon. Hope you have or are looking for a 1 bottomplow for making them raised beds. Didn't realize you had to garden that way down there in the warm country.}:) Do you use floatting row cover? love that stuff, I can gain 2 weeks on the spring time up with it, normally plantted garden by May 15th.

I just want to know how you and Roy get these women outside to do gardening work? Seems when my wife talks garden she brings seeds, plants and flowers home and puts it out for me to plant..

quote:
Originally posted by KSever
I just want to know how you and Roy get these women outside to do gardening work? Seems when my wife talks garden she brings seeds, plants and flowers home and puts it out for me to plant..
Mine wants me to help weed it. I keep telling her to make the rows 40 inches apart so I can drive a tractor through:p Maybe this year I will just try to carefully spray roundup between them:O On the steering wheel above, I have a loose one on a 712 S right now. Never actually had one pull completely away thoughsm00

I was reading the personals in the newspaper. My wife said why am I reading that? I said, notice how all the women who are cheap dates enjoy walks on the beach while those who are high maintenance (read expensive) enjoy theater, restaurants, sports events and travel. I said I don't see one single example of "enjoy endless hours of backbreaking farm labor". I said if a woman put in an add that said "enjoy gardening and have 6 large frame Simplicity tractors and 20 implements" she would be overwhelmed with responses, although most of them would probably say "please email pictures of tractors and implements".

"I just want to know how you and Roy get these women outside to do gardening work?" OWHN has a short in the logic circuits. She loves to dig in the dirt better than most anything else. I don't understand it but it does get the garden and flower beds done. :D

Mine has a similar short circuit Roy, but only to dig in the dirt of "pretty" gardens. The vegatable patch is mineC

Awesom looking garden! What are you using to mound your rows? Are you using a plow? My simple till, then plant in a row looks woefully deficient in comparison to yours, now.
quote:
Had this happen recently? I was mowing and the steering wheel came off in my hands. This happened all the time with the Keystone Cops and WC Fields and all that, but with today's modern, 40 year old tractors this seems a bit much!
I had the exact same thing happen to me on my Allis 914. It was a little disconcerting, to say the least! I couldn't believe that it was a plastic bond holding the steering wheel to the column. My simple fix was to drill the steering wheel, add a hex bolt and lock nut through the steering wheel and the hole in the steering column. You'd never know it wasn't made that way by looking at it, and it has held up well for many years.