Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

912H Axle Tube

Hello everyone, I was out rolling my lawn today(finally)after I have done all my customers. I felt somthing give but didn't pay any ation to it. About 5 minutes later I felt something give again. It stopped moving, I turned it off and went looking. I found a BIG chunk out of my axle tube! Now I was wondering.....Ever since I had bought the tractor the hydro seemed to be jurky. This breaking got me thinking. What if it had nothing to do with the hydro but some gears broke off the gear, causing it to miss and then catch. It seemed to run better when the roller or aerater was pushing it, but when I had to pull it up a hill it was really jurky. Can you still get axle tube or gears or anything for the transmission?? What are your thoughts on it? Any in put would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, William Jordan

JordB110
Hello William, Yes you still can get the axle tube for your tractor. I think the tube cost about $125 plus labor approx. Personally I really don't feel you have a trans problem but an axle tube that was going bad. Normally from my experience the tube breaks from stress related problems such as normall wear and tear over years. But as time goes on like in your case you started to notice somethings taking place. It sounds like your keys and keyways had alot of play in them thus causing the jurking you described. Its very important to keep an eye on the keys and keyways to make sure this play is kept in check. If not the play in them actually lets more uneven stress to spread away from the strongest part of the tube and into a weak area. The weaker area being the keyways which will crack on the tube and thus a broken axle tube. The tubes breaking are really one of the few weak area's in the Simplicity & AC tractors and to this day my count is at 3 of them. You are luckey in one sence and that the trans housing didn't break also as the side covers are getting really hard to find "used" as they are nolonger available from a dealer. Also the jurking could also have been caused from some others things like a belt slipping ect. The roller pushing the tractor while going down hill really just speeded up this whole process as it was pushing and pulling on the whole drive train with the tube being the weak link. I might have some things mixed up in my explanation but others can correct me if needed. Sorry to here about your tube but I have one coming up myself shorty, >>->happyjack<-<<

Cal
Parts for your hydro are readily available I cant quote price as I am in the house now ,but that trans is relitivly easy to replace the axle tube. You need to remove the right and left wheels after jacking & supporting the tractor under the foot rest remove the fan &shroud ,belt anddiff. assy. pull drive axle out to the left side, clean ay burrs from the axle tube where it broke, remove the bolts around the R/H cover on the gearcase remove same remove axle tube W/ bull gear and replace axle tube. You will need as a minimum 2 axle seals axle tube case gasket hydro filter &3qts. of 821 hydro fluid . Good luck Cal

dlcentral
I know of a guy that uses 4 of these Sov tracs for commercial mowing. He goes thru at LEAST 2 tubes a yr mainly because he has a Peco Vac/bagger, sys. hanging off the back of each with no support wheels.If there was one weak part on these tracs it is that tube.He's not a mechanic per say but he changes the broken tubes himself.

JeffNemes
Jerky motion can also be caused by the four front bevel gear box mounting bolts loosening. Remove the mower and check them for snugness using an extra long box or socket wrench.