Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Shorten center lift cable?

OrangeMetalGuy
I'd like an easy way to slightly shorten the center lift cable. When the lift lever is fully back towards the seat, the deck can go up another half inch or more. That little distance would help a lot getting it in and out of the tractor garage. I'm thinking a 1" to 1.5" shortening would work fine. Just looking for an easy way to do it. Thanks.

RayS
I made a rear lift cable a while back. They have a sleeve over the cable that is crimped and the sleeve also serves as a stop in the U shaped bracket. I took a piece of 3/8" round stock and drilled a 1/4" hole through the center when I made mine. I crimped it with a hammer and chisel. You could cut the cable to the length you want and try that method.

HubbardRA
I made one with just a cable and the "u-clamps" for cable that were also sold at the hardware store where I bought the cable. By clamping the cable, you can adjust it to whatever length you want.

SmilinSam
I just slide the clevis up on the cable and put a standard hardware cable clamp on the cable just behind the crimp on the clevis end that lifts the deck. This effectively shortens the cable length without cutting the cable or making a new one. The clevis will sldie back down the cable and stop at the cable clamp rather than the crimp.

skunkhome
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I just slide the clevis up on the cable and put a standard hardware cable clamp on the cable just behind the crimp on the clevis end that lifts the deck. This effectively shortens the cable length without cutting the cable or making a new one. The clevis will sldie back down the cable and stop at the cable clamp rather than the crimp.
my tractor's PO took the distal end of the cable with it's crimped on sleave and doubled it back through a "U" shaped cable clamp just above the clevis. I thought it was to repair the cable but realized that it was to simply shorten the cable by approx 1-1/2". It is totally reversable.