Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B112 Bevel Gear Box

LeoB

It looks like I've broken my bevel gear box and I wondered whether anyone had a repair for it rather than replacement. I'd do the replacement but it seems that these BGB are sort of hard to find. The problem is that both of the bolts at the back of the box have broken out of the casting. One broke over the winter when I was snowblowing and attempted to dig up a brick out of the frozen earth. it looked like the other side was still good, but there must've been a crack because it broke this past weekend while mowing and the tractor rose up in the middle like like someone doing a jackknife dive. I tried to do a repair, but too much of the cast material is gone on BGB to effectively do that. I had an idea of adding a plate to the outsides of the tractor to try to hold it together, but there isn't that much room and it seems kind of a hack in any event. Any ideas would be appreciated. It might be that I have to get a new tractor or just keep searching for the illusive replacement BGB. Leo

Post a wanted add in the classifieds. Someone must have a old housing that you could swap your gears and shafts into if you can't find a complete BGB.

Steven, Thanks for the advise, is that a difficult job? I thought I remember reading somewhere that the bevel gear box could be tricky to work on. I've already pulled the tranny all apart to replace a gear and axle, so I'm not adverse to doing it, just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head.

Try this link. There are two articles http://simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=35&cattitle=Bevel If this doesn't help, suggest you try searching the archives for BGB or bevel.

A BGB rebuild is fairly straight foward. Just assemble as pictured, there really isn't any adjustments to make. Just make sure you push the bearing and seal all the way in on the tranny output side and fill on top with shims till they are flush with the side in the case. Edit: I do have a good empty case if you can't find a whole one.