Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Vassal

My Landlord is overcharging - FIXED

Recommended Posts

Vassal
Well, I'm not talking about rent here, but volts baby, I mean volts.... After a very long rest (20 yrs according to the PO) I brought my Landlord 3410S back to life. With a battery ignition conversion and a bit of tweaking she runs pretty well, but the generator lamp was on and you guessed it, no charging. After seeing the rusty connections and doing some research here and at Al's site, I decided to pull the (3 pole) regulator for a look. The inside was remarkably clean and both the current and voltage limit contacts looked good. However, the cutout contacts had a decent sized weld point or pit in them which cleaned up quickly with a small file. After all the wire connections were cleaned, it went back together and I fired her up. The generator lamp went out after a few moments of running (YAY!) but just as I checked with my meter (reading 15V) I saw some smoke coming from the regulator area. I shut it down right away and checked all of my connections. Everything looked good, so, leaving the wires connected (except the battery), I unbolted the regulator and pulled the cover off. All looked good inside, but I noticed a small brownish area on the underside. It is on one section of the nylon looking insulator plate somewhere below where the current coil sits but (I think) nothing major. I decided to bolt it back in without the cover so I could watch the cutout contacts. I fired it back up with the F terminal disconnected at the generator and voltage was 13ish I believe (at the battery) and the cutout contacts were open. Then while holding the field wire on the F lug at the generator, the cutout contacts closed and voltage started to climb. I was able to make and break the regulator's cutout contacts using the field wire at the generator. So I decided to hold the wire on the field lug and see what happened. I noticed the engine rpm dropped under the load from the generator and the voltage continued to climbed above 14.7 until I pulled the wire back off. I think peak reading on the meter was 15.3 Volts. The cutout contacts did not open on their own and there was a slight wisp of smoke again from the regulator but I'm not exactly sure where it was coming from. It appears that the generator is 'full fielded' all the time now so I assume that I screwed up the regulator when I cleaned it or there is a short (ground) in the field circuit somewhere. Honest, I did not mess with ANY of the regulator adjustments, I figured that would be a guessing game I was sure to lose. Needless to say, I'm playing with fire here.... What do you guys think I screwed up? Could I have messed up the cutout gap when filing down the pitted contacts? Does anyone know what the cutout point clearance should be set at and if I should or how I would go about setting it. I see the adjustment screw but I'm a bit too afraid to just go at it without some advice from the experts. Thanks in advance! Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vassal
A little more info: With generator field wire disconnected (engine running) voltage at the A terminal at generator is 2.9V. With field wire connected (engine running) voltage immediately reads 15V at the regulator current control lead. I do not have an ammeter, neither does the machine, so I can't provide any amperage info. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B.Ikard
These are adjustable-check out this file [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=B.Ikard&file=50498"][img]images/disk.gif[/img][/url] Proper adjustment takes some time and paitence. Brent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vassal
dOdFIXEDdOd After a little more research I decided to make an attempt at adjusting the voltage regulator. Boy, Brent wasn't kidding when he said "Proper adjustment takes some time and patience". I got her set to charge in the 14 - 14.5V range and all seems fine now. Brent forwarded a copy of the file he linked above and with that plus an old Delco Remy Regulator service bulletin, I figured out how to adjust it properly. Thanks for the help and a special thanks to AL Eden for freely sharing his expertise and all the time he spent on his tech notes. [url]http://www.edensltd.com/tech_notes.htm[/url]
[img]http://www.edensltd.com/images/edens_logo.JPG[/img]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×