Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrianL

Help please - A/C 900 Manual and/or suggestions

BrianL
The drive belt on my recently acquired AC 912H is slipping. It's an off brand belt (blue) and looks pretty worn; I intend to replace it. (With a Simplicity belt of course.) Based on a quick glance (and bearing in mind I'm a desk type) this looks like a fairly interesting job, though I've done worse and kept my 3410 3spd running for over a decade now. NO PROBLEM, I thought. Go to the manual I downloaded from the Simplicity site. It's part #1666746 dated March 1980. Table of contents says it's on pate 24. THERE IS NO pg 24 in the manual I downloaded. I'm missing pp. 21-32. First I blamed a print problem on my end, but the .pdf I downloaded (originally, and a 2nd time) simply lacks those pages. Does anyone here have a copy of that manual they could scan & email me the missing pages from? Or one close enough to do the job at hand? Any specific suggestions on doing the disassembly needed to get that belt on/off? Any other guidance? MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE. Brian L

PhanDad
The Simplicity equivalent to an A/C 912H (mfg #1690516) is a 7112 (mfg #1690473). Put the mfg number in on our club's home page (top right corner): http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp You'll get a list of 2 parts and 3 operators manuals. If your looking for the BGB to hydro pump belt, it's shown on page 16 of the parts manual, it's part #1650502. Also, your tractor may have a list of the drive belts, etc listed on the bottom side of the hood.

Brettw
If this is a Sundstrand, you will have to remove the fan shroud on the transmission, (3 fasteners, one at the rear frame under the seat, one at the brake band, and one into the side of the frame behind the belt tension-er pulley) You will have to remove the belt guard on the drive pulley from the BGB, one bolt. You also have to remove the locking nut from the clutch rod to the tension-er pulley. Nothing real hard about it. It is much easier with the right rear tire / wheel assembly removed. I am not sure of you Allis, but on the Simplicity, all of the belt manufacturer numbers, on mine anyway, are on a decal on the underside of the hood. Good luck!

BrianL
Thanks to all. NOW I see the belt in the parts manual...guess it's time for the new glasses I've been putting off. I'll try to get a belt in the morning, as I'm lucky enough to be 5 miles from Jacks' Small Engines. Depending on what else demands my attention, perhaps I can fix it tomorrow. Thanks again!! Johnmonkey - greetings to you as well. I've been a member for a few years, but life has been so busy (and my 3410 so reliable) that I haven't been active in a long time.

BrianL
Brettw: THANK YOU for the detailed post. Got it tonight. Did not have to disassemble anything from the idler pulley. Did have to pretty totally disassemble the brake linkage to get access to remove the bolt holding the shroud at the bottom through the brake band. Bottom line: Done in under an hour. THANK YOU FOR THE GUIDANCE!!!!! Brian

Brettw
More than welcome. I have received more help on this site than all other searches combined. Great, great bunch of guys. So take what you can from the table, and help whenever you can. That, I believe, is what a club is all about. Keep "paying it forward" and everyone wins!