Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
corvetteguy

Easiest way to unstick valve (simp 700)

corvetteguy
I am sorry but having not started my 700 in 2 years I go to start it and no compression. Put oil in to plug hole and no compression. Spray starter stuff into carb and can get bang out of muffler, obviously no start. Is there some simple non taking apart way to free up stuck valve? I don't have a diagram of motor/ How do I take off the head? Want to buy it for $500 HA HA.

HubbardRA
Most times, if you remove the valve cover on the side of the engine, you can use a screwdriver to work the valve up and down. After you move it a few times, the valve will most likely loosen up enough to seat properly. It has worked for me on a couple of engines. The valve usually sticks because of varnish buildup on the valve stem that solidifies while the engine is sitting with the cam holding the valve open.

corvetteguy
I wound up removing the head. Was not too hard. Used P Blast and a few taps and got it following the cam. Wound up with 70 pounds compression. Got it running with starter spray but no gas through carb. Now I guess I need to remove carb. I like the bent screwdriver idea, it would have worked. Now i'll sell for $550