Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Command Horsepower

McGill

What I have been told is there is a screw to stop the carb from fully opening under load. Remove the screw and re-adjust the govenor to allow it to open all the way and you have 20 HP. By the way I have a 18 HP Command in my AC-312.StanD

The basic specs (bore, stroke, compression ratio) of the CH18 and CH20 are identical. What differences account for the additional 2 horsepower output of the CH20?

Thanks Fellas, I didn’t know if the published specs were a misprint. With the L&G equipment horsepower race going on, it seemed curious why Kohler would take an engine capable of 20hp and de-tune it. Years ago I used to de-tune 8V71 318hp Detroit Diesels down to 260hp by replacing 65mm injectors with 55mm. De-tuning was safe but increasing a 260 to 318 was taking a chance since other components were beefed up to handle the higher output. I’m going to contact Kohler. If I get any info I’ll post it here. Stan…. How about some close-up pictures of the CH18 engine in your AC312 for the gallery?

I'm not sure Dutch but some of the old Briggs engines the only difference in a couple of hp was the carb being jetted larger for the extra horse power. If a certain manufacture of a tractor wanted lets just say a 12hp engine instead of a 14hp one the would just change the carb to drop down the engine down to make it 12hp. I could be wrong as my best friend has told me that more then once already today ha :) Take care, >>->happyjack<-<<

Dutch, I am un-able to connect you on your e-mail, but I would like to thank for the help finding the information on the Kholer K341, the engine was assembled as is running very well, thanks again. John