Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sammiefish

300 series Kohler block upgrade compatibility?

sammiefish
As you may know.. ive got a 310... but sometimes im thinking i could use a couple extra ponys.... will the larger blocks bolt up with all the AC extras (generator etc) and fit with the drive shafts etc as the 310 K 241? I hate to change the orig engine.. but just wondering??

Chris727
The K241 through K341 have the same footprint, as long as they come out of an Allis of Simplicity. John Deere, Cub, Ford, and other brands used different types of flanges on the blocks and they will not fit correctly.

HubbardRA
Yes, you need to find a Kohler engine with the mounting ears on the very bottom of the oil pan. This oil pan will not interchange with the Cubs, Fords, etc. that have the different pan. I have both and have tried it.

JimDk
Rod, Do you know if an engine from a Cub Cadet will fit a Deere? My neighbor needs an engine for a Deere. I found him one for a Cub, but did not buy it. I was not sure if it would fit. Thanks, Jim

HubbardRA
Jim, I do not know anything about a John Deere. I have never owned one and quite frankly have never even looked at the engine on one. I have several Cub Cadet engines, so I know about them. I even had one Cub engine mounted on a Simplicity at one time.

JimDk
Thanks, Rod. Possibly, somebody else will chime in here. I am a rookie when it comes to other brands. I like it that way.sm01 That same neighbor has a big Troy Built tiller and braggs about the Briggs engine on it, but keeps buying junk JD tractors. ??

nateb17010
just need to re-power with a B&S. I have had some but as soon as I get them I blow them up???? then I take them off, sell for $50.00, and re-power with a B&S and run them for years. why I don't get along with toilets I'll never know. maybe it's the oil like some one said? but always rod failure. snaps like a twig. just my luck.

Chris727
Cub and JD used a variety of configurations. I have a JD 214 which has the "ears" on the block but it still has a shallow oil pan, kind of an odd bird. This was only used on some 200 series. Some cubs have a flat pan, while others have a recess for a dipper. There is no rule of thumb for swapping engines, you have to pretty much compare the engines side by side to see if they will work.