Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler running good(updated)

joshuaareed

Well guys I am having a little trouble with the 12hp Kohler in my 7112. First off there is a good amount of exhaust coming out from the breather at all times. Second when the engine warms up it lacks for power. I have changed the carburetor to rule that out as a power problem. Any and all help is welcome. Thanks guys.

If you are puffing oil fumes out the breather, you are due to get a ring replacement and valve job minimum. I would think you have a hard start problem also?

No she starts very easy, and yes I am still running points. At times under a load she pop and spits and sputters and I have to turn the mower deck off and start over when she gets up to rpm's.

I agree with the compression diagnosis. The rings would be a fair start point, possibly can avoid valves sometimes. Check for breather proper function also(not a cause but can contribute to symptoms).

Spoke with a good friend who is a Kohler tech and he said it is detination and to replace coil, condenser, and points. He said he has seen it 100 times.

Well I changed the coil, condenser, and points last night and the old 7112 came back to life with plenty of power and no spitting and sputtering. She runs like a top now. Thanks for all of your help guys.