Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Indiana_AC_Collector

Deutz-Allis Collectors

Indiana_AC_Collector
I'm pretty new here so I'm trying to learn a little more about what folks collect and why. The 1960's tractors are obvious. I've seen many of them restored and understand why they are appealing. I wouldn't mind having a B-10 someday myself. But what about the newer machines? After AC became DA, it looks like most of the lawn and garden products carried right over to DA paint and decals. Do any of you collect the green Deutz-Allis machines? Are there any advantages to a DA version of something like a 918 as opposed to the AC version? Were there any updates or improvements that the DA version has that the AC version does not? What about machines like the front cut mowers. I think the DA models were FC 1316 and 1320? What about the 600 series or something a little newer like a 1616? Anyone have an Ultima or two? Thanks, Jason Cook New Haven, IN

nateb17010
DA???? there still around as long as we have parts, tlc, in my mind AC will never die. the green Deutz-Allis machines: are left over 900's just as strong and as good as far as I know. never had one but have looked for them. you just have to sit back look with your eyes to see the beauty of the lines, the attachments that a 7 1/4 to 12 hp can do now a days all you see is a piece of plastic with a 20 hp under the front plastic thing. just the rugged strength that these little tractors have. these are some of the best of the best over all and that's where they will stay because there never be a new one that will ever compare. ok take a Ford boss 429 musclestang many people want, and or drool over owning one but only a few ever will. these little classic tractors are like a new fiber glass '26 T bucket, cheep to build, easy to own, and lots of fun. what I trying to say is we can pick up a tractor have fun rebuilding it and only have 500.00 in it, and find other attachments to play with as you go. where the fork lift, post hole digger, and trencher, for the b-110 is no where to be found just a picture of one is all you will ever see. and all we have is a picture. you answered your own question there is no one answer. maybe there is love of the tractor. "built like the big ones just smaller"

goatfarmer
I think most of the DA models were the same as their Simplicity/AC counterparts, just painted green, and different decals. No changes that I'm aware of. Also, welcome from another Hoosier!

UCD
The Deutz Allis tractors were not left over 900's They were built specifically for Deutz Allis by Simplicity with Deutz Allis specific MFG#'s. Other than paint and decals were the same tractors as their Simplicity counterparts.

MikeES
I have know of 2 converted Green Deutz-Allis 1920 Ultimas to Orange Agco-Allis 1920 Ultimas. Most people do not like the green nor the name, but got the tractor cheaper because of the name, and changed the color. Once at an auction (I believe it was a 1616) was being sold. You could see the orange paint showing through the scratches on both the body and deck. I assumed it was an Allis that been changed to green right at the transistion to Deutz.

Indiana_AC_Collector
Mike, I kind of figured that people may be turned off by the name and color of the Deutz-Allis machines. In the long term view, Deutz-Allis did not last all that long, 1987-1991 or so. Not sure if that limited time wll ever make Deutz branded machines collectible someday. I've decided that I won't turn down a Deutz branded machine if if comes my way and the price is right, especially if it's an Ultima or one of the diesel 920's. I'd also like to find a front cut 1316 or 1320 to use for my mowing. The tight turning radius and bagging system appeals to me. Jason

Karl_Brandt
I have one of those Green Deutz-Allis 916H tractors. I sold it to my brother 5 years ago.....now he's tired of looking at it and he went out and bought a brand new 20hp MTD tractor. Now I have to repair a few things on it. My neighbor has a Deutz-Allis 608 lawn tractor. [img]/club2/attach/Karl_Brandt/deutz-allis-1.jpg[/img]
Karl

Indiana_AC_Collector
Karl, Nice looking machine. I've always been a fan of Steiger's so the Deutz green never seemed that bad to me. Not the same shade of green but not that far off either. I even kind of like the styling on the big 9100 series Deutz-Allis tractors. Just spotted a pair of them in use at a farm a few miles outside of town over near Ohio. Jason Cook

Blu
Howdy Jason, from yet another Hoosier here!8D I take it you even live on my side of the state also since you mentioned Ohio being close by. Were 3 miles from the OH line 20 miles south of Decatur (East of Geneva). To keep on your topic though I see a few of the green ones around from time to time but not to many.Some still pop up at Public Auctions, or dealers from time to time as well. I guess I got my AC interest from my late Grandpa who was easy to pick out riding the big orange tractors in the fields of "green" (if you get my drift) that everybody else and their brother had around here. And mowing with a B-10 as well as being the first to get a Gleaner combine around here too It wasnt ever hard to pick him out in a field and I always respected him for being not afraid to be just a little different, and not buying onto the Deere cult.

SmilinSam
Heres my DA 917 that I repowered with a new Kohler magnum 16. Its my winter snowblowing machine and all around general purpose tractor of my fleet..
[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/Picture011.jpg?t=1244290746[/img]
Its interesting the stigma over this green paint. Around here at auction, the DA tractors that sell along side identical Orange units will generally bring 30% - 40% less even if they are completely healthy running units.

TimJr
Sam, is that a Swisher bucket? Got anymore pics of the hitch mounts and the trip mechanism? Was it factory made for a Simplicity, or did you fab mounts? I assume you pin it into the blower/deck mounting holes in the front axle? Thanks, Tim

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by TimJr
Sam, is that a Swisher bucket? Got anymore pics of the hitch mounts and the trip mechanism? Was it factory made for a Simplicity, or did you fab mounts? I assume you pin it into the blower/deck mounting holes in the front axle? Thanks, Tim
[url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103092[/url]