Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hoptownhiller

7117 KT 17 Series II - gas leaking

hoptownhiller
Hello folks, We all know the experts are here in this forum....I enjoy all the contributions that everyone shares in this forum, it has always been helpful to me..... so here is my question.....I have a newly acquired 7117 with the Kohler series two motor....it seems to be relatively tight and running well...the tractor it self is in good shape also... The initial problem i had was with the engine misfiring....new ignition wires solved that problem and now it runs like a champ... THE PROBLEM is however that GAS LEAKS into the OIL pan when I let the machine sit over night....I have installed a cut-off switch which has solved the problem, but I really would like to know what causes this issue....I have put in a new gasket and cleaned the fuel pump....but this did not help.....is there something obvious I am overlooking, or should I buy a new fuel pump, even though in the running position, the motor works just fine.... I believe that I have seen here references to similar issues....but cannot find in the scans I have done of what is on the site.... Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge... Dave D

bsadler
I also had this problem and replaced the needle and seat and still had it. I have talked to others including long time dealers that said this is an ongoing problem. I know not all tractors do this but mine does. Some will say that it can be fixed but I didn't want to take a chance. What sometimes happens is the gas gets into the cylinder and washes the oil off when sitting. You then start it on a dry cylinder that is close to locking the piston up. One dealer told me that he has seen cranks break due to the starter trying to turn over a locked piston. When I heard that I immediately put an electric shut off on mine. I have installed several in the past 5 or 6 years. I use this one [url][/url]http://www.propanecarbs.com/impco/400modeldigestergas.html[url][/url] Good luck.